TotallyOz

High Speed Intrernet on International Flights

I love being able to check email and use the Internet when I get to lounges on stop overs during international flights. I have been saying for years that I just didn't understand why the over the big ocean planes didn't have Internet. I have used the Delta Internet In Flight services when I am in the USA and love it.

Now, when traveling overseas, you can also use the Internet on long distance flights. On a recent trip, I opened my laptop and saw a connection for Gogo In Flight. I was a bit surprised and asked the flight attendant if this was an option. She said, "Yes, we are moving this service to all our our long distance flights."

I was impressed. The price for the service is per leg. It cost 24.95 from Bangkok to Tokyo. It cost 39.00 from Tokyo to USA. Yes, that is high. But, the speed was great. I was able to access all sites and services. It did go out a few times here and there for a few minutes but quickly returned. I always said that I would be happy to pay for this feature and when I saw it, I did pay for it and the speed was much faster than I expected and the service worked the entire time (minuses a few bumps when it went off and came back on really fast).

So, for those of you that love checking email, checking on sites, or posting that trip report on your latest conquest. ^_^ You can now do this on those long journeys across the Pacific, Atlantic, etc...

• Members

One reason it is so expensive is basically the same reason it took so long to become available and that is so many different agencies have control of various aspects of international travel and communication. An airline cannot just decide to fly between two airports. IATA, the state department, the FAA and several others are involved with the US part of such. For communication there is ARINC, the satellite owner, various government agencies, etc.

SATCOM became available for the airlines to transmit position reports over the vast Pacific many years ago but for at least a year or two, they still had to officially use the HF for clearances. HF is potentially very unreliable and the Pacific traffic really tied up the frequencies. During this interval the airliner would get his clearance over SATCOM and the "verify" it over HF. Silly, but true.

The bottom line is the technology for pax internet service has existed for years but all the politics kept it from happening.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest EXPAT

Frankly, it's nice to be away from the internet for a while. So I doubt I will be using it on any flight unless it is an emergency. I can just wait until I arrive wherever I'm going.

Guest CharliePS

Frankly, it's nice to be away from the internet for a while. So I doubt I will be using it on any flight unless it is an emergency. I can just wait until I arrive wherever I'm going.

+1

• Members

EXPAT and Charlie PSP-

You hit it on the head. The "real" reason to fly, either passenger or pilot, is to get away from it all. The plane I mostly fly does not have cell phone or internet service on it and, in fact, generally our pax don't even want a newspaper on board. It is a moment of brief respite from the rude world and a chance for all of us to really relax for a little while. The pax can go into a Zen trance for all I know or care while I concentrate on delivering them safely to their intended destination. I have no worries about house upkeep, car repair, assorted bills or even relationship problems while airborne. It takes skill and concentration to be safe and that is my intention and goal. It is wonderful for removing the cares of everyday life. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

I definitely see the need for many to have a respite from the net. But, for me, I travel a lot and my trip from Thailand this time was 28 hours. I hate secluding myself for that long. ^_^

Plus, I have over a million miles in the last few years and for me, I just don't need the time to rest and relax. I much prefer to keep to a work schedule.