Guest lurkerspeaks

Allstate Insurance has new "gay" ad

• Members

I am sure that Allstate has its good and bad points just like most companies but I cannot forget some good friends of mine whose family had Allstate home, car and no telling what else in a bundle and when the boys turned 16, Allstate cancelled all. Not nice.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

... when the boys turned 16, Allstate cancelled all. Not nice.

It isn't just teener boys Allstate doesn't like.

After my grandfather retired, he took up selling Allstate part time to keep busy. After a few warnings, Allstate pulled his franchise because he kept issuing policies to (qualified) black folks instead of shifting them over to much more expensive assigned risk companies. Not saying Granddaddy wasn't racist but he knew crap when he smelled it. He just refused to go with the flow even if it cost him his business.

LOL, I guess the take-away here is that Gays are more profitable customers than teenage boys and African Americans.

Exactly! Allstate is the devil incarnate. My father had car insurance with them for years, then had one fender bender and whammo! Canceled.

Thereafter, whenever insurance came up in conversation, he would put his hands together in the manner of the Allstate logo, intone "You're in good hands with Allstate," then stick out both middle fingers. :lol:

allstate-logo.gif

I am glad that more and more companies are catering to us gays. However, does this feel at all like overnight to anyone else? It seems like this "acceptance" just happened overnight. Was it slower than I think? Has this been a build up? Was this part of the recent SCOUTUS decision aftermath?

• Members

Does this mean you don't care what their motives might be so long as they "do it"? Telling me you love me doesn't make it so. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Personally, I don't care. I believe the acceptance of gays in mainstream society took place so fast because of Hollywood and the TV industry. They kept showing loveable gay characters and their ratings didn't go down so they kept pushing the envelop. I think the more ads the world sees the better. I think the more gay characters on TV, the better.

I think Ellen has done a lot for the gay rights movement. I wish I had more gay characters on TV when I was a kid. I do remember Dynasty and the gay son. I thought, "wow, there are others." Honestly, I wasn't so sure there were others till I saw him. I remember watching the show and just dying to see a scene with him in it. They disappointed as he wasn't a big character on there and his gay life was not discussed very much. But, I loved seeing him.