ihpguy

Be Careful Out There - The Sidewalks Are Collapsing

• Members

I kid you not. In Ipanema, some sidewalks onRua Barao da Torre, the next street away from the ocean after the main one in Ipanema, Visconde de Piraja, and this is where they are tunneling the new Metro Line 4. Instead of blasting through the rock with the tunnel boring machine at 40 meters depth, they have been going through at 12 meters depth and excavating the easier sand mixed with rock. I'd guess to save money and speed up the pace for the Olympics. Non? In any event some sidewalks have now collapsed and the construction has been put on hold for 30-60 days. Between this and the non-cleanup of the Bay, what's next? Oh, yep. The plan to reuse the Velodrome from the 2007 Pan-Am's is a no-go and that is now out for bids. Not for construction as of yet, just for bids.

Guest Paragon

I would hate to see Brazil, and Rio in particular, to suffer the indignity of botching the Olympics. The people deserve to put on a great show and be proud of showing off their country to the world.

Guest PasadenaCA

I would hate to see Brazil, and Rio in particular, to suffer the indignity of botching the Olympics. The people deserve to put on a great show and be proud of showing off their country to the world.

Agreed. People were worried about Greece, but the media is now comparing Brazil to Greece--in a very unfavorable way. Admittedly, I have been looking at websites in Greece recently.