ihpguy

Bus Drivers Back On Strike/Bank Guards Still Are

• Members

Last week they struck for one day to protest the future dismissal of all of the fare collectors. A majority of the buses have one. Some smaller buses do not. Today they are back on strike for a 40% pay increase. It certainly does make the streets quite empty in the city center. I was planning on hopping the metro, but with the strike, decided the crowds would be too much.

The bank situation is ridiculous. Today, I had enough money to deposit that I wanted to hand it in to a person and not the teller machine. So I try to push the revolving door open. I'm not getting anywhere. I'm pushing. And pushing. And pushing some more. No movement.

Hmm. I think well maybe the bank is closed down. Or the revolving door is broken. Who knows? Then I hear the bank guard, one of only two staffing the branch instead of the normal 4,5 or 6, yelling through the door that money transaction can only be made at the machines. I said fine, let me in. So he moves away from the door and it revolves just fine.

Come on. Friday they are refusing cash transactions with tellers at a different branch. And today they are not even letting you into the branch before firs advising you of the situation. Once I was inside I said to the guard that I had quite a bit of money in my pocket and as a security guard it was safer to let clients in off of the street than to leave them standing outside open to being robbed. Needlees to say, this branch had three tellers and exactly three customers ahead of me in the line. And the teller took my funds with no problem.

Swiftian territroy.