Guest PasadenaCA

If you had a time machine . . .

Guest hitoallusa

Well some scientists say that the universe itself could be a hologram. If that's the case maybe the projection of the past on a screen without the viewer actually moving space might be possible.

• Members

Charlie PSP-

Politics aside, if the US capital has to move to LXV (Leadville, CO), the highest public airport in the contiguous US, most of us are in deep trouble (as if we are not now). If everything very much under 9,000 feet MSL is under water, life will indeed be difficult. That is above the tree line so what crops will we have?

OTOH, the boondoggling will be reduced. 747's cannot land there. In fact, I think the Sherpa lifestyle will be admired and followed to some great extent.

If you fly into LXV they give you a certificate for having arrived alive. I think they follow the "normal" procedure if you don't depart OK. They bury you.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest CharliePS

If we live long enough, we may all retreat to Leadville. But I have a question: I found it hard to exert myself much in Leadville, because it was hard to breathe at that altitude. If the sea levels rise, will the air not be so thin? I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

• Members

I am sure there are at least a jillion (big number) possible ramifications to that question. However, possibly the most germane one is that our atmosphere has a constant ratio of oxygen in it but the pressure declines with altitude. This makes it more difficult for our red blood cells to have enough oxygen to make us happy with their combination. High altitude residents do not have some "magic" ability to adjust, they simply make more red blood cells. Anyone can do it. Just live at a higher altitude for a few days and nature will take its' course.

Alternatively, one can have red blood cells removed at a lower altitude and then reinserted when dwelling for a short time at higher altitudes. Some athletes did this when competing at such venues as Mexico City, etc. A bit extreme but it works.

Best regards,

RA1

It could also be that higher sea levels will suck up oxygen, as H2O does by its extremely reactive nature? I (chemist manque) don't know, but it seems likely.

When physical nature can conspire against our interests, it usually will.

Thus the astounding wonder that evolution overcame nature to bring us even this far.

• Members

Thanks goodness for the extreme reactiveness of O2. Otherwise we could not survive any number of pursuits we entertain AND we would not have "easy" cooking fires, also for warmth. Never mind "modern" transportation. On and on. ^_^

Do you mean evolution "overcame" or "dragged" us this far? ^_^

Inquiring minds want to know, also nosy SOB's, what transpired in BOS or did you not go? ^_^

Best regards,

RA1