AdamSmith

Greenwald: 'From MLK to Anonymous, the state targets dissenters not just "bad guys"'

Guest hitoallusa

Snowden is so cute.. But not sure why he has to portray this intelligence agencies in a negative way.. That's something I don't get. Yes the NSA made a mistake but that mistake doesn't represent the whole agency. There are many decent hard working people there who want to protect the country from domestic and foreign threats. He should have more balance in his arguments. I am not so into what the NSA did but why they had to do it. I think Snowden and I have different views that won't likely reconcile.

Guest Paragon

I like the guardian as much as anyone, but now I am starting Glenn Greenwald's book, No Place To Hide. Anyone else reading it?

Guest PasadenaCA

I like the guardian as much as anyone, but now I am starting Glenn Greenwald's book, No Place To Hide. Anyone else reading it?

I'm scared to do it, because if the NSA catches me reading it, there's . . . well, you know.

Guest Paragon

Well, it is a quick read. All I can really wonder is why George Orwell got is wrong by 30 years. Greenwald is very hard on the NY Times and the Washington Post, claiming they do the government's bidding.

Guest Paragon

In short, this is easily the scariest book I have ever read. We grow up believing in the goodwill of our government and gradually learn that it is not perfect. But this is far from being imperfect, it's downright un-American.

And then this today:

LONDON – A number of governments have the ability to tap directly into the communication network run by the British telecommunications company Vodafone, a level of surveillance that elicited outrage from privacy advocates when the company disclosed it on Friday.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/06/06/vodafone-reveals-direct-access-by-governments-to-customer-data/?hp

After I posted this, I saw my email giving me an advance look at the Sunday NY Times book review, where this book is reviewed by Michael Kinsley. Kinsley does just what Greenwald complains his critics do: they attack him while ignoring the fact that the government is constantly increasing its surveillance of its citizens. That's all this so-called review is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/books/review/no-place-to-hide-by-glenn-greenwald.html?emc=edit_bk_20140606&nl=books&nlid=61144114

• Members

No policy maker or government executive likes dissent. It impedes their job or mission. However it is tolerated in a democratic society to one level or another with varying levels of push back. However, when the aggrieved policy maker or executive feels the dissent is threatening enough and a case can be made that laws were broken then the push back reaches a whole new level to crush that avenue of dissent. This is the reason why Whistleblower Laws nothwithstanding, most Whistleblowers are still persecuted in one way or another rather than being lauded and exalted.