ihpguy

Federal Police Threaten World Cup Strike

• Members

If it isn't one thing it is another.

Tuesday there were striking bank guards outside many/most of the bank branches. Now yesterday afternoon I saw this. Fun times. And by the way, the Federal Police are the folks who handle immigration at the airports. Imagine that?

Not a clue as to what is the unofficial inflation rate, but prices are definitely rising. Eggs have now taken a big jump in price. They were 4.40/dozen, then dropped to 4.10, last week they went up to 4.90/dozen. They used to alway be in the threes. Ditto chicken and beef prices.

The taxis here have had a permanent price increase of 15%. The old Flag 2 price for evenings, holidays and weekends has been made the lower Flag 1 price.

And a friend who works for the garbage company, COMLURB was telling me that they plan on striking again during the World Cup as they did not get the raise they wanted during their Carnaval strike.

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Federal police on Wednesday threatened to stage a nationwide strike during the monthlong World Cup if Brazil's government doesn't increase their pay and improve working conditions.

Officers held a protest rally outside the Rio de Janeiro concert hall where national team coach Luiz Felipe Scolari was announcing his roster for the soccer tournament, which begins June 12.

About 50 protesters covered their mouths with red scarves and held banners. They stood next to a life-size inflatable white elephant to complain about the high costs that the World Cup has brought to a country still struggling with deficient public services.

"We gave all possible deadlines," said Andre Vaz de Mello, president of the federal police union. "If we don't see a government response to change things, we will stop working during the World Cup."

At Rio's famed Copacabana Beach, other protesters lined up soccer balls with red and black crosses on the sand, showing photos of victims who have been killed or injured in gunfights in the city's supposedly "pacified" slums.

• Members

Got into the city this afternoon to find out that the bus drivers are striking as well. Only between 5 and 10 percent of the usual number of buses were in operation today. Caused many people to give up even going into work today. Caused the city to empty out early as well so everyone could try to beat the rush. Caused lots of lost business. Tomorrow, a Friday, should be even worse in Centro.

Another fried I visited around the corner from where the Mansao da Eva was located on the Rua de Benedetinos agreed about Comlurb - the garbage company - will be sriking towards the end of May.

This is all so much like the city motto of Chicago, "Where's Mine?"

• Members

Bus strike is over here. That was a quickie. As to the bank guards. still out on strike. It was quite strange to go to the bank yesterday and the branch I went is not permitting the tellers to transact business that needs the handling of MONEY. Yep. Impossible to believe. There are now banks where you cannot deposit cash money. Nor can you go to the teller and withdraw any money from your account nor cash a check against the funds available in your account. Cash transactions only from the ATM. Why? Not enough bank guards here in the "Old Wild West."

As an aside to safety, last month on the same weekend in Tijuca, an enormous neighborhood that at one point is near the Maracana and includes the end of the one metro line, two men were shot and killed leaving ATM's on a Friday afternoon on the street Conde de Bonfim. I really is a very nice shopping street in the neighborhood. Except not on the ocean, nicer than Copacabana, Made the papers and the TV news here. Didn't just rob them. Shot them dead.

I'm planning a week in Rio, the week prior to the World Cup starting - my first trip back since 2010. Work demands made this my only option. Should I be reconsidering this trip, considering everything going on? Anyone else from the boards planning to be there around that time?

• Members

Definitely don't reconsider. The bus strike ended in one day. A friend told me what the problem was. There are rumors that they want to get rid of the moneychangers/trocadores on each bus. Since the introduction of the RioCard/BilheteUnico/various farepay cards. many less people are using cash when they ride the bus, so they want the drivers to also the diminished ticket sales. That would put a lot of people out of work. And most tourists only take the metro anyway. Or taxis.

Te ATM's work just find to pull out money. Minor problems. Doubtful that this guards strike will last that long. For sure whatever happens with the Federal Police will be over quick. I think right now that Brasilia's big fear is if everything dosn't run smoothly, that the rumors might come true and the Olympics will end up back in London for the second time in a row.

One report I read yesterday stated that it this time in 2004, Athens was 40% completed with their preparations. London at 60%

Rio de Janeiro at an incredible 10% WOW

Guest PasadenaCA

Interesting report. I too have never been to Brazil and I want to go. The news reports are a little troubling, but I do realize that the media only report the extremes, which distorts reality.

• Members

Some demonstrations on Friday afternoon and evening in front of City Hall. What is really surprising is that the bank guards strike continues. As well as the teachers. Some of the branches in the center of the city have closed for now. They have no guards to protect the branches or their clients from robbery. And besides that problem, the bank cashiers have no cash for transaction. And they are not allowed to take cash deposits. And function that involved cash has to be at the unprotected cash machines. Even crazier is on a couple of occasions I have attempted to enter a branch to talk about one of my accounts and one of a limited number of guards supplied from a firm not on strike has physically pushed against me pushing against him on the other side of the door. It is something from an "I LOVE LUCY" episode, or maybe "Carole Burnett" with us pushing against its other. It is all so absurd when one thinks about it. Guards not permitting a client from entering a bank branch to transact business where one maintains a bank account.

I still have fears for more strikes in the next 2 weeks or even while tourists are here. A couple of friends who work for COMLURB - the garbage company - are more than ready to strike. They struck during Carnaval and were looking for a 40% raise. They only settled at a 10% raise. And with hundreds of thousands of foreigners entering the country for the World Cup, this is the absolute perfect moment for the Federal Police to stage a slowdown or strike.

The only positive thing is that Dilma has put the federal security forces on duty all over the city. I was In Copacabana and Ipanema on Tuesday, Tijuca on Wednesday and Friday. And Centro every day. The troops are out and on guard at least in these neighborhoods. And they are guaranteed for Sao Cristovao and Maracana. And so many of these army guys are so, so, so hot. I have to admit they are much hotter than either the Navy or Air Force guys you see jogging along the bay of the air force and naval bases.

• Members

. Even crazier is on a couple of occasions I have attempted to enter a branch to talk about one of my accounts and one of a limited number of guards supplied from a firm not on strike has physically pushed against me pushing against him on the other side of the door. It is something from an "I LOVE LUCY" episode, or maybe "Carole Burnett" with us pushing against its other. It is all so absurd when one thinks about it. Guards not permitting a client from entering a bank branch to transact business where one maintains a bank account.

Well you must somehow fit the "profile" look of a bank robber of sorts such that they don't want you to enter...you must be a very scary and shady looking character, at least to them ^_^

• Members

Dilma was in town to celebrate the opening of the TransCarioca BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) line, one of four planned or underconstruction, the second to be opened, mostly completed. New quick way to get to Barra and Recreio from the airport. Only cost 2.2billion Reias for two dedicated bus lanes. Went past City Hall today and they have security fencing erected, just in case any protesters want to do a Brasilian-style Storming Of The Bastile. Something is rotten here, just to let you know, when this whatever sized newly emerging or already emerged economic power cannot even educate and supply their own health care professionals. Last week I was attended to at the local hospital by a very nice cubana, Doutora Janelis. Interesting to see what happens next.