Guest PasadenaCA

Campy with racial undertones, but a very funny show

Guest PasadenaCA

Created by the team that gave us "Are you being served?," "It ain't half hot mum" was a BBC comedy from the early/mid 70's with a stronger gay theme than the department store comedy, which followed a few years later. It's not shown anymore, as it's deemed offensive to some people. It was set in India during WWII and featured the antics of an army entertainment troupe. Here's two of the characters.

• Members

This whole situation reminds me of the Gurka garrison that I ran into in Brunei. Doing business in Brunei then (while still a UK protectorate) was interesting to say the least. The Sultan was in power but the Brits still had control of many, if not most, things. One was warned to avoid the cobras if one wandered around outside of the hotel. Being a Moslem country, the hotel bar had a sign that said no locals, meaning it was only for foreigners/guests. The population was/is about 15% Chinese which means wonderful, authentic food.

I was there for 4 days and given a Gurka driver + jeep for my personal transport. The aviation department was run by "proper" Brits with shorts and knee socks + a veddy British attitude. All interesting. I was a long way from home and doing my best and so were all of them.

Every morning the jeep would arrive and the driver would take me on my rounds which included contracting to send several hundred thousand dollars worth of spare part via cargo ship + complete the contract which meant signing various paperwork + releasing the purchase price for two aircraft and all associated parts.

Obviously there is more to this story but enough for today.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest PasadenaCA

"Play me I'm yours" is a scheme by a British artist placing pianos in various cities. Anyone's invited to play. I found yet another rendition of "Whispering Grass" on Leicester Square in London. The singer, a passerby, is unknown. It's another great performance.