Guest ButtWilde

Ybor City or Downtown Tampa?

Guest ButtWilde

I am going to be spending the night in the downtown Tampa Bay area tomorrow night (sat 4/12) and would appreciate any help or suggestions on choosing a hotel close to popular bars. I've found a listing of gay bars in the area of Ybor City but do not necessarily trust them to be true because they are sparse on details and information. A stripper bar would be a bonus but not even sure if there are any there.

I'd like to find an upscale hotel close by so I won't have to drive because I intend on consuming some (OK many) adult beverages as it will be my 60th B'day. I haven't been in a gay bar in probably close to 15 years as the last 7 I have been a full-time caretaker for my mom (93) and since I have an unexpected "sitter" for the night I want to try and reconnect to something, even if it's just an empty glass at the end of the night.

I have no grand illusions or expectations because frankly, at this age, although I am a rascal at heart and in good shape; I'm not of the target age group which most are looking for. I just want a fun night out away from the daily grind-down of caring for an elderly parent who is becoming more difficult for me each passing day, it seems.

Anyway, I'd be grateful for any suggestions or advice anyone might be willing to share.

Thanks!

• Members

Buttwilde, I was my Mom's full-time caretaker for 4 years. Looking back I can honestly say it was the best, most fulfilling period of my life. I'm grateful I had the opportunity to be with her. But get some help, if no more than a couple of days or even 1/2 days a week. No matter how much you love her nor how well you get along, it's hard to avoid burnout without some time to yourself away from the house.

That said I don't know squat about Tampa Bay. I hope someone here will help you out. Next time, try to give us a little more advance warning of the event. Many of the posters here don't check in everyday, so the person who could help you the most might not read your thread for several days.

Good luck and remember, you don't necessarily have to go back to the hotel with somebody to enjoy your vacation. :thumbsup:

Guest hitoallusa

Oh my you guys are wonderful~~~ Such good sons.. I want sons like you guys~~~ ^_^ Gay sons are the best~~~ Anyways, I hope you have some fun BW~~~ Please find a wonderful pair of nice shoes and walk around the town as you own it on your night out..

• Members
Oh my you guys are wonderful~~~ Such good sons..

Couldn't agree more! A real gift you have given your Moms. :thumbsup:

BW, hope you get some helpful info. Sounds like Dame Fortune put this evening out into your hands and hopefully has a few more pleasant surprises up her sleeve.

thCAV0KABL.jpg

Happy Birthday!

• Members

I suspect you have cruised the internet for suggestions. If not try http://tampa.gaycities.com/bars/

I did manage to investigate the gay scene on several visits during the early years of this millennium. My experiences are a decade old now but it may be a starting point for you. I visited several bars/clubs mentioned on the above web page, most on the Tampa side of the Bay Area.

Valentines on N Armenia Ave. - Busy crowd on weekends, mixed crowd, everybody knows everybody, unless you don't. Emphasis on drag although there was some nice boy candy on display too. Shows started midnightish. Darker lighting, cheap beers and well drinks. Not the worst, not the greatest.

City Side Lounge, Henderson Ave - Good size well-lighted club-bar, mixed crowd, with good looking go-go hunks, usually one dancing at a time. Good energy, a bit more antiseptic than most.

Baxter's Lounge So. Dale Mabry Hwy - Four-sided bar, maybe twenty feet long and eight feet wide. Dancers five nights a week back then. One per night except weekends, two or three or four. Busy crowd on weekends almost all male. Good looking latins and crackers ( a few guys modeled mens clothes in catalogs, including underwear). I probably went here more than elsewhere because of the dancers. They intermingled more with the bar customers. Although many dancers straight they looked hot as hell and some danced after hours. :o

The Body Shop on N Nebraska Ave. Known as Keith's in my day, quiet gay bar unless it is Karaoke Night, not my cup of tea. The locals enjoy it. No dancers in my day. Maybe the odd chance for a pick up but I never noticed any working boys hanging around.

Other clubs I visited are closed now, probably for the better. Some were very sketchy, others just didn't manage to take off from the launch pad.

Ybor City was a hot scene for straight clubs back then but not much gay in that era as I recall. I would check out today.

As I said, all this is a decade off but then in the Land of The Blind, The One-Eyed Man Is King. :D