Guest Paragon

New Computer Security Worry

Guest Paragon

Those cute little padlocks you see on website hat want you to know how safe they are have been picked and opened. They are no longer safe.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/08/flaw-found-in-key-method-for-protecting-data-on-the-internet/?hp

So it is suggested that if you use a password manager like Lastpass, they will have fixed that bug and you can be safe again. Is that true? I tried a password manager and it was such a heavy intrusion on my computer use that I uninstalled it. Anyone recommend Lastpass?

Guest Paragon

I read another article talking about what a massive fraud this was- such a huge scale- and that the paswords have been exposed for two years now. Both articles say change all of your passwords now! But that's too hard, so I did download lastpass. I imported the passwords I wanted to keep, but one they forgot, or so it seems, is the one for this site!

That, of course, raises a question in my mind. Why did I import those passwords if they weren't secure anymore?

Guest EXPAT

NEVER NEVER NEVER use software apps that are supposed to keep all your password secure in one place. There is NO way it is secure. Do it yourself. The easiest is a password protected PDF or word document that you keep secure locally only and not in a cloud.

Guest ButtWilde

I have always changed my important passwords every other day, just as I have always changed my underwear and used the brand name of them for my secret code. This I have done for decades and thus worked well with my variety. It wasn't until just recently, that I realized that for the past three years, the only undies in my drawer were fruit of the loom. :logik:

Guest ButtWilde

http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2014-04-07_2382948414970836/movies/2001/human_error.wav

(Sorry, this was supposed to be a sound clip of HAL's haughty "Well, I don't think there is any question about it. It can only be attributable to human error" but seems not to work.)

But on the other hand, for a limited time, you can stream 2001: A Space Odyssey, on Amazon's new FireTV!

Guest CharliePS

All my passwords are written on a piece of paper in a secure place near the computer, where they will all be lost (except the ones I always remember) in a fire, flood or earthquake.