Guest Paragon

Sweeping Away A Search History

Guest Paragon

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/03/technology/personaltech/sweeping-away-a-search-history.html?ref=business

I was wondering what the more tech savvy here thought about this article. I don't think my search history is particularly embarrassing, and the ads which seem to be tailored to me are usually worthless or out of date. For example, after I have purchased a ticket to Bangkok, I get ads trying to get me to purchase a ticket to Bangkok! Recently, I looked up the conditions for a credit card that gives Hilton points, and now I get dozens of ads a day for that card. But, they won't sell me on it.

Naturally, the idea that our searches are being monitored is not welcome. But, is it so bad that we need to sweep it away?

Guest CharliePS

Since I am about to move to a new computer, this is something I have thought about. I often clear my browsing history, but before that happens the advertisers have already started aiming ads at me for things I researched. Ads for the computers I looked at two weeks ago continue to appear on the side of my screen, even though I bought the computer last week. They may eventually go away, but I still get ads for cars that I researched more than a year ago. When I looked at ads for a new Honda Element in 2010, I started getting emails from a Honda dealer 50 miles away, and I still get them, even though Honda stopped making Elements in 2011! I assume they are auto-generated somehow. I consider all this a nuisance rather than a danger, but it does remind one that, like energy, no information is ever really lost.