TampaYankee

New Blood Pressure Guidelines

• Members

Generally, lower is better. As always, there are exceptions.

I have little desire to live to 110 but I do desire to be relatively healthy until..................

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I seem to only have high bp when I go see my doctor. I believe they call that white coat syndrome. Fortunately she seems to understand that and hasn't been trying to get me on medication. I just hope my home bp monitor I use most every day that says I am "normal" is working ok.

Guest hitoallusa

My blood pressure is fine but I loved when my previous physician doctor take my blood pressure himself... My gaydar indicated that he was gay and he personally called me himself once. He is very cute. I used to make appointments intentionally to see him.. But later I found out that he was married and had a wife in the same clinic!

Another failed courtship but I still remember the way he took my blood pressure. Lol..

Oh I got side tracked. Yes my blood pressure is normal but I don't want to live that long into 100s. Maybe 65 should be good enough for me.

• Members

It was only a very short while ago that "they" lowered the target BP to 120/80, a very young person's standard. Now this article says the older person standard is 150/90. The more you know, the dumber you get.

It was hilarious when I took my battery operated monitor in to my doc. He had me run it on my right arm while he did it the old fashioned way on my left. Is that what a 3 way is like? Getting squeezed on both sides at once? My monitor was deemed close enough.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I have been tracking my bp for about two years now on a semi-regular basis (almost daily). Although my bp is in the relatively normal range (per the chart below that I use but I suppose now may be revised at some point), it has been on the higher side for the last several months. This made me wonder since I have been steadily working on reducing my weight by better eating habits and exercise for about 6 months now.

Talking to someone this morning about bp, it was mentioned that perhaps I am not drinking enough water and may be somewhat dehydrated. That got me thinking that in fact with increased exercise I have likely not been drinking enough water. That and also increasing my caffeine intake with more coffee, which I understand is a mild diuretic, may be part of why I am not where I think I should be.

Anyway, this has been a great thread as it has provoked me to get a better understanding of some issues that I can do to help improve my numbers.

Here is a link to an article about bp and water intake: http://www.healthcentral.com/high-blood-pressure/c/42538/144397/blood/

blood-pressure-chart.gif

• Members

Interesting chart. Some things that I have been told by docs or read somewhere. Your BP fluctuates all day, generally being higher when you wake up, going lower all day (assuming not too much stress, etc.) then starting to rise as the day comes to an end. One point being, one should take those "tracking" pressures at about the same time of day (to include the same approximate mental/emotional state). My family doc, who also was a pilot, once told me that older folks can withstand "G" forces better than younger ones because of hardened arteries. Not sure I want to go out and pull 12 G's just to test his theory. ^_^ Several docs over the years have suggested the white coat syndrome is real. Plenty of water is always good. If you drink a bit too much, your body knows exactly what to do with it. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest CharliePS

My normal bp is about 110/70. Last week I had to go to the dentist for what I knew would be a painful and expensive procedure. As I sat in the chair, about to start, the assistant took my bp, and it was 112/72, despite the stress; after an hour of unpleasantness, it was still 111/72. I have had similar results at doctor's offices, so the white coat syndrome doesn't seem to hold for me.

• Members

Charlie PSP-

You were the CAUSE of white coat syndrome when you were an active college prof. ^_^ Now you just repel rain where ever it falls. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1