TampaYankee

13 Worst Supermarkets in America in 2014

Hah! Have to agree with all those I know. Think I would as soon graze in the garbage as shop at Slop & Plop -- many/most of their stores have gotten disgustingly run-down.

And Wal-Mart grocery prices, in NC at least, trend a good bit higher than better stores such as Kroger.

• Members

What surprises me about this list is the reasons for down grading various stores. Long lines at check out might mean the store offers good value in their products but tries to save money with some being pushed to consumers with minimum staff. In other words, if there were not a line of otherwise satisfied customers, why would there be a line at all?

What store offers excellent meat selection, beautiful and fresh vegetables, many options of canned goods, management and customer service par excellence and all at competitive or lower prices? So far as I know, no store does all this.

I think we enjoy what seems reasonable and presses some of our buttons. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

What surprises me about this list is the reasons for down grading various stores. Long lines at check out might mean the store offers good value in their products but tries to save money with some being pushed to consumers with minimum staff. In other words, if there were not a line of otherwise satisfied customers, why would there be a line at all?

What store offers excellent meat selection, beautiful and fresh vegetables, many options of canned goods, management and customer service par excellence and all at competitive or lower prices? So far as I know, no store does all this.

I think we enjoy what seems reasonable and presses some of our buttons. :smile:

Best regards,

RA1

There is one but you have to move to the Northeast.

• Members

I dont care about quality or service. The BEST for me are the ones I can shove the most into my panties and run out, UNNoticed !

:frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

I do recall some years ago, probably when I was living in the MidAtlantic region, a TV report of a woman arrested for smuggling a ham out of the store secreted her vagina or so she thought. :o

Brings a whole new scope to the expression 'glazing the ham'. This comment is especially for Adam, knowing his sense of humor. :P

• Members

I do recall some years ago, probably when I was living in the MidAtlantic region, a TV report of a woman arrested for smuggling a ham out of the store secreted her vagina or so she thought. :o

Brings a whole new scope to the expression 'glazing the ham'. This comment is especially for Adam, knowing his sense of humor. :P

I believe she was an older woman, and therefore her vagina was Very dry, hence there was No glaze.....

It was more of a "dry rub" on that Ham ! :frantics:

HAH! It was exactly that ham-upskirt dame that I was searching for when I found instead the video above of large ladies stashing bottles of hooch the same way.

Suckrates may have a point about the dry rub. :sick:

Guest CharliePS

I assume that if a chain doesn't appear here, it is on the list of the best? For instance, Kroger/Ralph's is not on this list, although it is very large, nor is Albertson's, both of which I consider mid-level supermarkets, unlike upmarket chains like Whole Foods or Jensens's. Sometimes two separate stores in the same chain can be different; for instance, there are two local Ralph's that I could shop at, but I like one of them much more than the other. And I'm not sure why Safeway and Von's were each on the list, since like Kroger/Ralph's they are owned and stocked by the same company, just using different names in different geographical areas.

Guest zipperzone

I think the main criteria in judging a supermarket (or any other retail outlet) should be the cuteness and hotness of the male employes.

I don't care if the shelves are half empty so long as the young man stocking them is hot. Nor do I care if I have to wait a long time at the check-out counter if the boy packing my groceries is a cutie.

LET'S GET OUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT HERE. :hyper::hyper:

• Members

I agree with Charlie that there can be a big difference between two locations of stores in the same chain, both in regards to service and selection. I shop mostly at Giant Eagle and go a bit out of my way to go to one that is nicer and better in regards to service and selection.

Being retired I can go on off times so I don't have to deal with the crowds and also I have found that I will go to different places rather than one stop shopping....a local butcher for my beef/poultry, a fruit and vegetable market, bulk warehouse for paper products, etc. Kind of going back to the way my grandparents would go to specialty shops before the chains came about. I tend to think I am getting better quality that way and even think I do pretty well on the prices, even considering the extra driving I may do.

A side comment/observation....Not sure if this is common elsewhere, but around me there is a tendency for most of the chains to use mildly autistic adults for bagging and taking care of collecting shopping carts from the parking lot. I think that is a great thing and I am assuming they are being paid a standard wage.

Oh and one other thing while I am at it...I think the greatest development in chain supermarkets has been the introduction of self checkouts. I can do the scanning and bagging myself in half the time it takes for a cashier to do it (and I like the way I bag things myself). Now if there were cute guys as cashiers then I might make an exception but unfortunately for me that rarely happens at the times I go :(

• Members

Basically I try to do all of my shopping between the airport and my house. It will have to be special to go very far beyond that track. However, it is 15 miles long, so going a few blocks off track isn't a problem. Unfortunately, Kroger and Walmart have run other "better" stores out of town. There are some specialty stores for various things not found in most grocery stores and there is an Aldi on my route. In summer time we have many farmer's markets so fresh veggies then are not a problem. I can go upscale or downscale and stay on my route but, as mentioned before, I plan my week generally around specials which every one of those stores have each week.

Basically it costs about a dollar a mile to drive around so saving 50 cents by driving 5 miles out of the way makes no sense.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

...The envelope, please? Don't leave us in suspense!

P.S. Could it be Hannaford's?

Or Market Basket, which has vastly upped its game over the past half-decade?

MB, rated 6th in the 55 rated.

1. Wegmans

2. Trader Joe's

3. Publix

4. Costco

5 Sprouts Farmers Market

15. Whole Foods

16. Hannafords

24. Kroger

34. Sams Club

35. Ralphs

36. BJs Wholesale Club