Guest Paragon

What Browser to Use if Not Firefox?

Guest Paragon

Mozilla has named Brandon Eich as CEO, this despite his donation to the Proposition 8 efforts to undo gay marriage in California. So, I tried to use Chrome, which was horribly slow...before it crashed. I am on Safari now, but Firefox and Chrome had all of my shortcuts ready to go, Safari does not. Any suggestions?

Guest EXPAT

My concern with Chrome is the NSA snooping that Google does across their platforms. I'm not certain how safe the "safe browsing" is with Chrome.

Guest Paragon

Thanks for the advice. I also fer Google's increasing power over our lives. Safari has worked well for me, however, today the new Mozilla CEO issued a statement of commitment to LGBT equality...we'll see.

• Members

Is this thread about having a technically good browser or a political statement about LGBT issues? Just curious.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Is this thread about having a technically good browser or a political statement about LGBT issues? Just curious.

Best regards,

RA1

For me, both. The quality and new features keep drawing me towards Chrome, at the same time the Mozilla flap pushes me away.

• Members

JKane-

Thanks for the reply. I WAS just curious. ^_^ As an aside, I have never eaten at ChicFilA and other places that have PI attitudes but, no doubt, I have fallen off the wagon, if unintentionally. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I also use Gmail and an Android phone, so Chrome integrates right into that, looking forward to the Google Now cards popping up in Chrome feature. As it is if I Google a place on my desktop info about it pops up automagically in Google Now on my phone. Can be very useful (though can also be kinda creepy, sure...).

You have 2.5 choices for custodian of your digital life: Apple (I've probably made my feelings on them clear in the past) or Google (or Microsoft--if you're a masochist). Of those three choices I'd actually lean towards MS if they weren't so poorly executed all the time, so that leaves Google. Once you choose one everything gets better and better if you just go all the way.

And yes, having one corporation have so incredibly much info about me is a bit unnerving, but on the other hand I think they're the only one I've heard actively pushing back against gov't surveillance and the corporate motto of "Don't be evil", even if they don't always live up to it, is actually kinda inspiring...

• Members

On the other hand, not all of the gay community approved of what they saw as a pogrom against Eich.

Here's Andrew Sullivan's take:

“The whole episode disgusts me – as it should disgust anyone interested in a tolerant and diverse society. If this is the gay rights movement today – hounding our opponents with a fanaticism more like the religious right than anyone else – then count me out.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/04/04/mozilla-exec-out-of-job-for-gay-rights-intolerance-some-think-thats-intolerant/?tid=hp_mm

• Members

Yeah, I'm beginning to be a bit conflicted about the whole episode. $1000 donation, as opposed to the active participation and advocacy of a person like Orson Scott Card, and he's hounded out of a position he worked long to obtain. And he had real tech credentials, apparently creating javascript...

It's like we're moving into Christian RIGHT territory: have tolerance for me OR ELSE, and by tolerance we mean let us do whatever we want!

His firing was absurd. He gave 1k to a cause. I doubt that was a huge activist stance on his part. I hope that I am not held to account for the 1k I spent in Rio's 117 years after I have been there. I learned that Meio Mundo was better but I was late to the game. Luckily for me, the boys did not boycott me. They may have boycocked me but that is what I was looking for. ^_^

As for browsers. I love Firefox and Safari. I do use Chrome but it gives odd renderings on some sites.

I think the free market, in the case of an org like Mozilla to include its staff, has the right to speak and act on whatever basis it sees fit. If the public personal actions of a high executive offend enough people, that person can expect public heat to be aimed at both him/her and his/her organization.

Would anybody be making apologias if Eich had contributed -- more than once, btw -- any monies, however little, to groups or causes whose aim was to espouse racist practices?

That would hardly be called "fanaticism," as Sullivan blithely does here. I think it is a very good thing to see the same revulsion now starting to become a commonplace reaction to anti-gay-rights activities.

• Members

I think some the less enlightened alumni of Liberty University have reached for their pitchforks because a gay broadway dancer was hired to choreograph its production of Mary Poppins.

choreographer-geoffrey-goldberg.jpg?w=26

And Liberty U. has told them to bug off.

Now I ain't saying that this means Liberty U ain't still a cesspool of Xtian evil mindedness, but the parallel offers room for thought.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/liberty-university-shrugs-off-concerns-over-openly-gay-choreographer-assisting-in-campus-production-117576/

I just really don't get the idea of stopping support for a CEO who gave 1k to anti-gay marriage measure. He it been another number, my feelings may be different. He has said he would uphold the direction for Mozilla being inclusive. If this is OK to do, then we really should not support any person's company who gave money to any republican campaign for the last 10 years as they have vehemently came out against us.

But, to be fair and honest, I did stop going to one resort when I found out the owner was funding Republican candidates with money from the company. I guess it is where each person feels comfortable. I never spend money on Mozilla and I guess I don't think I have a say in their company. I don't spend money in Wal-Mart either and don't think I have a say. But, if Amazon starts to pull shit like this, I might have to rethink my position as I get a few hundred packages a year from them.

I remember years ago there was a guy who owns a big gay website for men hunting for other men. And, he gave to very conservative republicans. He kept moving on and his company is just as popular today was it was then.