Guest lurkerspeaks

Where (in the US) would you live?

Guest lurkerspeaks

I have a chance to get out of my condo, which means I would be free to move anywhere in. the US. I am looking for suggestions based upon cost of living, quality of living, gay living, ease of travel, etc. i have never lived in extreme cold but would consider all

Guest PasadenaCA

I have a chance to get out of my condo, which means I would be free to move anywhere in. the US. I am looking for suggestions based upon cost of living, quality of living, gay living, ease of travel, etc. i have never lived in extreme cold but would consider all

If your picture is accurate, I'll send you an address. If it's not, try Mississippi.

Guest Paragon

Raleigh, NC would be loads of fun, or so I think. If not there, then why not Salt Lake?

I'm not sure what it means "I have a chance to get out of my condo." Are you being held prisoner?

• Members

What's "gay life" like in Raleigh and Salt Lake? Remember this is one of the major components if the move comes about!

Raleigh, NC would be loads of fun, or so I think. If not there, then why not Salt Lake?

I'm not sure what it means "I have a chance to get out of my condo." Are you being held prisoner?

What's the gay life like in both of the cities mentioned? That's one criterion to consider when and if Lurker makes the shift/move!

Guest tomcal

Lurker, u said u have never lived in extreme cold but would consider it! DON'T LOL I grew up and lived in Minneapolis until I was out of college. Extreme cold and snow in winter and humid and Giant Mosquitos in Summer!

But really such a individual decision, everyone likes different things. If I had to move I would probably consider Ft. Lauderdale, no state tax, cheaper housing/apts, active gay community(wilton manors). I love SoCal. but it's definitely not a cheap place to live, high cost of living, high taxes, and no ease of travel(traffic is a bitch! rush hour is now almost 24/7

Guest lurkerspeaks

thanks for the suggestions so far.. Florida could be interesting, but the threat of hurricanes is one concern..

The "get out of my condo comment".... I bought my Phoenix condo in 2008, so have been extremely upside down in it where I could not sell it. But now the latest rumor is that the developer is about to offer a buy back to the few remaining owners (supposedly so they can sell the complete complex.

I am definitely a "big city" kinda guy.. not one for a small city or rural setting. San Diego or LA would be high up on the list if only they were a little more affordable. I have been spoiled for the last 25 years to live in the extremely affordable Phoenix. Before that, I grew up in Houston.

• Members

I love the Pacific Northwest in the summer. The rest of the year, not so certain. I don't do soggy well. :(

I love the Northeast in the summer. The rest of the year I am very certain. If you can stand the cold and snow then the summers and autumn are beautiful.

For retirement, probably Ft Lauderdale for all the reasons Tomcal said and one he didn't but I'm sure weighs on his mind -- dancing boys. :smile:

CA and NY too expensive. Texas to hot and hostile. NC beautiful, especially Asheville area, but hostile too.

The most beautiful place I ever lived and I could retire there quite well (I think anyway, it's been 35 years since I left) is Maryland - the Baltimore/DC corridor. Beautiful countryside with rolling pastures and hardwood forests. The most beautiful Spring seasons with the dogwoods and all manner of other flowering trees as well as beautiful flowers cultivated and wild. Nearby fruit orchards -- apples cherries, berries, peaches,... And the amenities of the big city nearby -- Baltimore and DC. Summers are hot and humid but short lived. The Fall, beautiful with the country side ablaze with color in November. Winters are no big deal usually, this year being an exception there and through all of the South. As a mix of beauty, climate, and city amenities it can't be beat, or couldn't at one time.

• Members

With an ocean view in Southern California it would be hard to move, but the state income taxes here are getting to be unbearable. When I think what I could do with extra thousands every year, no income tax states look more and more attractive. I know Washington State well and I love rain, so that's a strong choice. I may also spend a few years in Nashville, where travel to NYC is easy and affordable. I don't think I could handle the weather in south Florida, but I keep hearing great things about FTL.

Guest tomcal

I agree with TY about the Baltimore/WashDC corridor. A few years ago I looked at possibly retiring near Annapolis or even the eastern shore of Maryland, beautiful area and milder climate, but I found out I got use to all the amenities that a large metropolitan area offers and I love the SoCalif weather!

Lurker, San Diego is beautiful, more laid back then L.A., has a active gay community/area and they put up thousands of Condo units in the run up to 2008, prices came down substantially after. Recently had a neighbor sell here in the O.C. and buy one of the foreclosed condos overlooking the bay in downtown SD and got a great deal. Some years ago the area was skid row, bail bondsman offices/etc. now really nice, New condo complexes, many restaurants etc, it's like they took a 12 sq block or more of Manhatten and plopped it down there. You can walk all over and their is a train thru town, and more then a few cute surfer guys in Pacific Beach neighborhood! and for the more adventurous, TJ is very close by.

Guest CharliePS

Everyone has his own special likes and needs. If you can deal with clouds for a lot of the year, I would look seriously at Portland. It is the most affordable city on the west coast, and has most of the amenities of a big city. It's gay scene is so laid back it's hard to notice, because no one cares what your sexual orientation is. Oregon is the least religious state in the nation. There is no sales tax at all; of course, for the best of both worlds, if you live across the river, say, in Vancouver, WA, and shop in Portland, you will have no state income tax as well. Although it has the reputation of being wet, the average annual rainfall is actually less than in most northeastern cities--it rains often, but lightly, for about eight months of the year, and is gorgeous the other four. It has a very good public transport system. Naturally, it has the drawbacks of most American cities--yes, there are slum neighborhoods, and there are homeless on the streets downtown, though on a recent visit to San Diego I thought its downtown was worse--and the natives will complain just as they do everywhere, but if I were going to move to a city again, that would be my first choice.

By the way, Paragon mentions Salt Lake City, another place I really like, but although it is beautiful much of the year, the air pollution in winter can be like Beijing.

• Members

I wish I had something very useful to contribute but my agendum is entirely different from the stated one and, perhaps, most. SAN does have beautiful weather and attractive folks but the surrounding territory is too full of cumulo granite. So that general idea kind of lets out anywhere west of North Dakota- West Texas line.

I have had far more trouble with bad weather while on the ground rather than in the air. Any place where they might have to plow the runway before I either land or take-off is not on my list of places to live.

The Northeast has terrible traffic both on the ground and in the air. One can spend a lot of money going nowhere but waiting, engines running, for your opportunity to do so.

OK, where does that leave? Basically the Southeast US. The mountains are not as tall. The snowfall is infrequent. Generally the traffic on the ground and in the air is less. Yes, there are bad thunderstorms and the occasional tornado but no place is perfect.

I love visiting all of the places mentioned, plus others not in the US but visiting is the operative word.

Probably if I moved in retirement, likely I would go to central Florida. The hurricanes have diminished in intensity by there, the salt water is far enough away to not corrode everything you own and small town lifestyle, while different, has its' own attractiveness. Plus, I have relatives and friends there who likely will call a tow truck or ambulance if they see me lying drunk in a ditch somewhere.

Best regards,

RA1