MsGuy

What is Putin up to in the Ukraine?

• Members

Nor Poland, nor France, nor a bunch more. BTW, I grew up with a small group of Latvians whose parents had fled during and after the war. They all seemed to worry a whole lot more about the Russians than any other country or person.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Not to mention that around 30/40% of the residents of Latvia are those pesky ethnic Russians and they're treated a lot worse there than in the Ukraine. Until the European Union clamped down on Latvia for blatant racial bias, anybody whose ancestors didn't live in Latvia before WWII (i.e. a lot of the Russians) was denied citizenship.

Think Mother Russia might turn a hairy eyeball on Latvia after things settle down in Ukraine?

twd-gifs-dead-weight.jpg

Latvia starts an easy 1/2 drive down the coast highway from St. Petersburg.

• Members

I've been following this closely and it's not all that it seems as reported by the Western media. Kiev is now run by a bizarre coalition of neo-Nazis (Right Sektor), fascists (Svoboda) and oligarchs associated with, among other things, PrivatBank. The neocons and Kiev are trying hard to tempt Russia to intervene, but Putin's not taking the bait.

As for Latvia and Estonia, they'd better start treating their Russian minorities better. I don't think Russia will invade the Baltic states. That would be a step too far.