Guest Paragon

Spring Training Underway

Guest Paragon

Baseball is near! The teams are now at full strength in spring training, and Phoenix welcomes all of them- at least until there is an openly gay player.

One reason to like the Yankees:

20140218_mse_sv7_601.0_standard_249.0.jp

Who is your favorite team/player?

• Members

We just broke the barrier in basketball and are just weeks away in football. I would love to see an out baseball player. Hell, even as cheap as I am, I would still buy a team cap or something.

(Dear Lord, please let him not be a catcher. Come on, God, you owe us that much).

PS Jason Collins, the first openly gay basketball player will probably see his first court time tonight since coming out and signing with the Nets. Game at 9:00 pm Eastern on ESPN. Can't remember who the NETS are playing.

nba-player-jason-collins-comes-out-as-ga

• Members

My God damned Comcast cable up-chucked on itself again and shut down for the basketball game and then some. Missed the season finale of Downton Abby and this week of Walking Dead too. Now it's coming up for a bit, going blank, on and off.

Piss on it; I hate Comcast. They're notorious for cheaping out on maintenance.

====

Cute baseball teams you guys are working on.

Maybe we should start a fantasy league, but based on cuteness rather than stats.

• Members

I thought "cuteness" was a stat. ^_^

Any thought about DirecTV? Yes, it goes out during heavy rain and under certain icing conditions but does not require a tech to fix it, only a little patience. Here I am generally talking about a few minutes. Of course, the local weather guesser still interrupts if he can get extra air time.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest Paragon

The cute guy in the batting helmet in my originating post is Yankee backup catcher J.R.Murphy, who is probably the handsomest Caucasian player on the team:

wvjwc.AuSt.69.jpeg

Jacoby Ellsbury, new to the Yankees from Boston, was always a favorite of mine. I called him "baby" until he lost some of his baby fat:

baseball.jpg

Pedroia_Bio.03.gif

• Members

According to Obermann and confirmed by Wiki, Glenn Burke, Dodgers & Oakland, April 76 to June 79, was the first out MLB player. By 1978. everyone knew, including sports writers, as Burke was very open about his life to everybody.

According to Obermann, Burke later said, "Everyone just pretended not to hear me [when I talked about being gay]." I guess they were a lot like my Moma. ;)

200px-Glenn_Burke.jpg

Somebody else has probably posted about this before but it's news to me. :logik: Given the state of my brain, I'll probably post this again next year. Every day is a new day.