Guest Paragon

Airline Miles

Guest Paragon

In another thread, we discussed going to Brazil for as little as 40,000 frequent flyer miles, a good deal when some domestic tickets take 50,000 miles. But it can be hard to find those deals, requiring a dedication to searching. The reward when you do find them is big. Of course, the airlines sometimes make the routing impossibly hard to figure.

Today's LA Times travel section advises holders of miles to use them- now! Southwest and United recently devalued their miles, and this is something to be expected from other airlines as well. Your miles will likely never be worth more than they are now.

Unfortunately for me, I have been saving miles to use on a first class ticket to either Asia or Europe. They are impossible to find on a saver award. To Asia required flying secondary airlines and layovers in Beijing. To Europe required odd routings, and then when you did decide on something, the corresponding fees were the price of a coach ticket. $1360 plus 140,000 frequent flyer miles to fly first class? Not a deal I would take.

So I recently used miles to fly- coach- to New York. Coach tickets are much easier to find than the upper classes. A friend recently flew to Asia for 65,000 miles and $10 dollars in coach.

All of this makes the 40,000 miles ticket to Rio a super bargain. Find it if you can.

• Members

What timing Paragon! I was just about to bite the bullet and use miles to buy a DOMESTIC(EEEEK!) ticket on a route that is now priced at over $700-in coach= LAX/YUL on Air Canada.

My friend The Points Guy posted about this on his blog today. http://thepointsguy.com/2014/02/when-should-you-pay-for-a-ticket-or-redeem-miles/