Guest wowpow

New Airport News

Of course, none of us have been out there yet to see how this works, but on the face of it I don't like the idea. It's not always so easy to heave heavy luggage onto shuttle buses, not to mention getting it off again. Also, what about handicapped people?

Quite often airport shuttle buses don't leave until they are filled to capacity, leaving you quite likely to be standing there, in crowded conditions, without even a seat. Also, it's been my experience at airports at which shuttle buses are necessary, sometimes you end up having to wait twenty minutes or more for the next bus and even then they are sometimes so full that you still can't get on and end up waiting again. Then it's a mad dash to get the few available seats. After a long-haul flight who wants to have to deal with any of that?

At the present Bangkok International, at least the taxis can take you right to the airport door and pick you up just outside. But at Suvarnabhumi apparently that's not going to be the way it works.

My favorite airport in Thailand is the U-Tapao airport, only about a half hour ride from Pattaya. Taxis pull right up to the door and there are plenty of luggage carts. There are no crowds and it's quite an easy airport to deal with.

But I don't like this shuttle bus idea at all. That seems like very poor planning to me. A brand new airport and this is the best they can come up with? I hope, once the airport opens, it will turn out to be a lot better than it sounds.