TotallyOz

Apple Opens First Store in South America: Rio De Janeiro

Finally. When, I got to Rio, I can go to an Apple Store! And, from the pics, the guys down there are head over heels in love with Apple. When I travel there, I am often asked by friends to pick up something Apple for them. Now, they have their own place!

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/tech-gadgets/article/south-americas-first-apple-store-opens-in-rio

http://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/tech/2014/02/15/first-apple-store-in-south-america-opens-in-rio-de-janeiro/5509051/

• Members

Interestingly enough, the 2/10 issue of Business Week has a long article on iPhones as a new international currency. Apple maintains a substantial differential in prices between national markets, enough to make the arbitrage trade in unlocked iPhones worth your while.

Apparently the cheapest (relatively speaking) 5s with 16 GB of memory costs about $700 in the US but goes for US$1,200 in Brazil.

Top that off ( ;) ) with the status windfall accruing to a garato in possession of an up to date iPhone and you might well eclipse even Tomcal as bell of the ball, OZ. Just takes a little advance planning.

Worth thinking about anyway.

MsGuy, everytime I upgraded my iPhone and I have gotten a new IPhone when each new model came out, so I guess that would be five, I took the one I had and "gave" it to one of the boys in Brazil!(the gift of course came with some conditions lol) Ya gotta work harder then that to eclipse me! :lol:

It's interesting how the Apple name carries such weight there. My last trip I had a new Samsung Galaxy SIII that I had gotten free and took it with me to give to someone special. When I gave it to him, he smiled and said "can I sell it so I can get a IPhone 5? lol

• Members

MsGuy, everytime I upgraded my iPhone and I have gotten a new IPhone when each new model came out, so I guess that would be five, I took the one I had and "gave" it to one of the boys in Brazil!(the gift of course came with some conditions lol) Ya gotta work harder then that to eclipse me! :lol:

Well I should have known, Tomcal, that you of all people would be sure to have a leg up on the competition. :thumbsup: LOL, I guess we will all just have to resign ourselves to your leftovers and abide patiently in your shadow waiting for sloppy seconds.

It's interesting how the Apple name carries such weight there. My last trip I had a new Samsung Galaxy SIII that I had gotten free and took it with me to give to someone special. When I gave it to him, he smiled and said "can I sell it so I can get a IPhone 5? lol

It's not about utility or even monetary value (entirely ). It's about the prestige with his friends and peers that accompanies owning a late model iPhone. The power of the Apple brand is amazing. Your boy craves to whip out his iPhone while having a beer with his buds and ever so casually update his Facebook page. Somehow it's just not the same with a Samsung. :lol:

Not unlike one of us wanting to 'ever so casually' pick up some friends for brunch in a new Porsche Cabriolet.

normal.jpg?pool=multimedia&type=image&id

PS If you happen to actually own a Porsche, Cabriolet or not, please just keep this information to yourself lest I graw out my own vitals with envy. :P