TotallyOz

'American Idol' has its first openly gay contestant in 2014

Of course it’s sad that this is a news headline, that it took this long, that this is reality. But hey, let’s be happy about it instead — someone had to break the ice! M.K. Nobilette, 20, is officially the first openly gay contestant on American Idol. It’s really just a crazy technicality: Gay contestants in the past had never spoken of their sexuality on camera, seemingly by the show’s design.

“I’m very obviously gay, and there are always gonna be people in America and everywhere else who will definitely hate me,” said Nobilette while waiting to hear her Hollywood Week fate before the judges. “But I think that in the last two years there have been a lot of things that have really changed that, and have made it a positive thing.”

“Thank goodness,” murmured Harry Connick Jr.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/02/12/mk-nobilette-openly-gay-american-idol-contestant/?hpt=hp_t3

• Members

Of course it's a lesbian. That is more acceptable to middle american audiences than a gay man.

Excuse me Expat, but they ALSO picked an openly GAY black man..... It didnt need to be voiced: it was overwhelmingly Obvious from his very first appearance..... Can the Gay ones win ? NO. The gay girl recently lost on the Voice, and lest we forget Adam Lambert and Clay Aiken. OK, those 2 werent admittendly GAY at the time, but Helen Keller could see that they embraced the "creative community"..... Mainstream america doesnt want the "guilt" of voting the WIN to an openly, or obviously Gay contestant...

Sorry Harry Connick, we still got a long way to go.....

The producers didn't stop her from voicing her being gay. But we didn't hear from anyone else. I can guarantee it was driven by producers on what they think the Americans can stomach. That is what I don't like. And we are referring to the article which only talks about her because she came out on air or better that they let her come out on air. So we'll see how they deal with anyone else. Fox and the producers are first and foremost worried about ratings.

• Members

Well, they promised us a NEW, revamped AI this seaon, and they sure didnt lie.. After picking the Top 13 contestants for this season last nite, it looks like they turned American Idol into "The Biggest Loser"..... There was more meat poundage on that panel than on Top Chef.

IMO, none of the picks are outstanding singers, on the level of the contestants that are presnted on The Voice. For me, the boys picks surpass the girls, but none make my jaw drop in awe..... Of the girls, I like the Lesbian and the pink haired country rocker. for the boys, I am kinda on the fence. I was dismayed that the judges forced that black guy CJ on us as a wild Card pick, as he clearly was NOT good... but they promoted him from the beginning for reasons I dont see. I was hoping to see that Hottie Spencer get picked, also not the greatest singer, but certainly Eye Candy.

I felt the way they picked the Top 13 was embarrassing, selecting 30 contestants as Top, but then Only allowing 20 to sing, abruptly dismissing the rejected contestants at the end. That was just RUDE..... And the performance of the Gay black guy was just hands down embarrassing.... he was swishing around the stage like he was on a Gay Pride Parade float. Yes, he has a vibrant personality, but I think they exploited him for "ratings"..... CLEARLY, he could never WIN.....and there were better singers they could have chosen. The judges choices, IMHO is very "calculated" for reasons other than their Talent.

I dont know, no matter how they slice and dice it, I dont think THIS show can t be saved... Put it out of its misery. I am NOT excited about this season. Sorry Simon Fuller.....