lookin

Please feel free to highjack this thread!

• Members

A few days ago, another poster commented that his serious thread was trivialized by off-topic comments and by posters trying to be funny or by showing discomfort with a serious topic. I know I've been guilty over the years of straying off topic and I'll add my apologies for my irrelevant comments and feeble attempts at humor.

I also know that most of my threads have been highjacked, often before they got off the ground. But it's rare that I don't enjoy whatever course they end up taking. Maybe it's because I like the banter as much as I like the subject matter of the thread. If it were really important to me to stay focused on a particular topic, I'd either limit my discussions to friends off the Board, or I might try to bring the thread back on topic. If that didn't work, I'd figure I was just interested in something that others weren't. At least not that day. Maybe they wanted to think about it for a while.

It's sure not my intention to offend anyone with my posts, so I'm now a little gun shy about posting anything even slightly off-topic. If a poster were to put a "Do Not Highjack" statement in the thread, I'd definitely honor it. What do others think? Is that a workable solution? Or is there some better solution for making a thread highjack-proof?

By the way, this may be a deadly dull topic so if anyone wants to take this thread into alien airspace, please be my guest. bug-eyes-alien-smiley-emoticon.gif

pd_wiki_Triple-star_sunset.jpg

Guest PasadenaCA

A few days ago, another poster commented that his serious thread was trivialized by off-topic comments and by posters trying to be funny or by showing discomfort with a serious topic. I know I've been guilty over the years of straying off topic and I'll add my apologies for my irrelevant comments and feeble attempts at humor.

I also know that most of my threads have been highjacked, often before they got off the ground. But it's rare that I don't enjoy whatever course they end up taking. Maybe it's because I like the banter as much as I like the subject matter of the thread. If it were really important to me to stay focused on a particular topic, I'd either limit my discussions to friends off the Board, or I might try to bring the thread back on topic. If that didn't work, I'd figure I was just interested in something that others weren't. At least not that day. Maybe they wanted to think about it for a while.

It's sure not my intention to offend anyone with my posts, so I'm now a little gun shy about posting anything even slightly off-topic. If a poster were to put a "Do Not Highjack" statement in the thread, I'd definitely honor it. What do others think? Is that a workable solution? Or is there some better solution for making a thread highjack-proof?

By the way, this may be a deadly dull topic so if anyone wants to take this thread into alien airspace, please be my guest. bug-eyes-alien-smiley-emoticon.gif

pd_wiki_Triple-star_sunset.jpg

Thank-you. I hate it when people hijack threads. It's just rude.

So, how's your penis doin'?

• Members

Wonder if Leif will be using some of his old pix to jump start his comeback?

LeifGarrett002-horz.jpg

Tiger Beat eat your heart out.

====

Interestingly enough, Garrett had some advice for the Bieb recently:

• Do not believe your own publicity.

• Sussing out who your real friends are is full-time work.

• Every scum bag, every drug dealer, every chicken hawk wants a piece of you.

http://www.queerty.com/justin-bieber-warned-to-beware-of-chicken-hawks-by-former-teen-idol-leif-garrett-20130820/

Full story here:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/08/19/leif-garrett-to-justin-beiber-dont-believe-your-own-publicity/

I think the hijack complaint referenced in the OP is a specific instance of a general question -- conceivably the central question -- for community forums such as this:

What is the most effective and constructive way to influence the content and subject-matter behavior of fellow posters?

By telling them how and what you wish they would post?

Or to lead by doing, posting the kinds of things yourself that you want to see more of?

Which do posters here find more effective and appealing?

• Members

What is the most effective and constructive way to influence the content and subject-matter behavior of fellow posters?

Or to lead by doing, posting the kinds of things yourself that you want to see more of?

Is this a trick question? :rolleyes:
For me, the most appealing way to post is to post what you feel like posting. But it's not always an effective way to prevent highjacking.
And the most effective way to prevent highjacking so far seems to be castigating those who highjack. But, again for me, it's not very appealing.
My thought was to post a "Do Not Highjack" statement in threads that you don't want highjacked, letting folks know up front that you want them to stay on message, and not to bother responding if they can't. This may not qualify as effective and appealing, but it's the best solution I can think of.
What would Justin Bieber do?
bieber.jpg

• Members

Hijack is a very serious situation for aviators. So, is it my anti-establishment inner being that urges me to do so in a forum? Only my shrink knows and he ain't tellin'. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest Paragon

The thread allegedly hijacked was about the death of a person who meant something to a lot of people. Generally, as humans, we give some leeway to those dealing with a death and don't need a neon sign telling us to tread lightly as people's feelings are involved here more than with the usual thread. But I prefaced it by saying how ill-equipped I felt to originate the thread. I didn't know the deceased, but I sure knew him in thatI followed his career, watched his movies, and saw him perform quite emotionally and with real depth on stage.

So it just might be that posting such a thread carries none of the leeway we give to real life- as opposed to message board- buddies when someone they cared about dies, no matter how suddenly, unexpectedly, tragically it may feel to the poster. Because I either don't have the answer to that, or fear that I really do, I prefaced my post with the caution that I did.

Normally one sees threads hijacked all the time, and I guess death and the emotions that come with that have no buffer and are tossed into the mix along with all of the other topics someone felt it was worth posting about. You learn something every day and usually it includes a reminder to go with the flow.

Guest hitoallusa

When I die I hope no one hold grudge against me. I made mistakes in my life and I do wish things had been different. But I hope and pray that things get to the right place and people start over again. I feel sorry for Hoffman but if there is afterlife I pray that he is free from addiction and live a happy life there.

• Members

One more "aviator" remark. Aviation from day one has had very serious consequences when sometimes minor errors are made which led to an "attitude" generally adopted by many aviators and that is to denigrate the idea of death. For instance, buying the farm only means no longer living to aviators. I would rather die than look bad is bravado often attributed to fighter pilots (and others). Going west is another way of expressing death. Some "others" get the point and some do not. Macabre humor or attitude is not limited to undertakers.

Just FYI.

Best regards,

RA1

PS- Are not some of the best "jokes" told at wakes which by no means is there any intention of making light of the situation, only relieving stress.

• Members

Actually, I'm kind of glad that Paragon warned me off before I said something really snotty about Mr. Hoffman. I think it was only a day or two later that I found out he was (probably) closeted and dealing with sexuality issues on top of everything else.

Funny how being able to easily empathize with a particular set of problems can alter how you think about something.

====

I think the hijack complaint referenced in the OP is a specific instance of a general question -- conceivably the central question -- for community forums such as this:

So you thought maybe you could get away with back-handing a fellow poster without any one calling you on it, AdamSmith?

Away with you moldy rogue, away!

• Members

Normally one sees threads hijacked all the time, and I guess death and the emotions that come with that have no buffer and are tossed into the mix along with all of the other topics someone felt it was worth posting about. You learn something every day and usually it includes a reminder to go with the flow.

I never thought of it this way and it shows the limitations of communication in a low-bandwidth medium like a message board, as well as my own.

There have been many threads, especially on Daddy's site, dealing with posters' personal losses, usually pets but sometimes family, friends, and lovers, or even the memories of those losses. I don't recall a single instance when those personal losses were not treated with respect, compassion, and support. And such threads were never highjacked. It's one of the things I like about the folks who populate both boards.

I feel terrible that I wasn't able to realize from your post the personal connection you had with Philip Seymour Hoffman and, even if that were not the case, you make a good point about pausing to respect the passing of any fellow human being, even if (s)he hasn't touched one of us personally. It never hurts to bow our heads when one of our fellows is taken from us.

Again, sincere apologies for not being aware of your connection.

• Members
Is this a trick question? :rolleyes:
For me, the most appealing way to post is to post what you feel like posting. But it's not always an effective way to prevent highjacking.
And the most effective way to prevent highjacking so far seems to be castigating those who highjack. But, again for me, it's not very appealing.
My thought was to post a "Do Not Highjack" statement in threads that you don't want highjacked, letting folks know up front that you want them to stay on message, and not to bother responding if they can't. This may not qualify as effective and appealing, but it's the best solution I can think of.
What would Justin Bieber do?
bieber.jpg

Bieber would probably throw some SCAT at your house..... (notice how I worked Bieber AND Scat into the same thread) :P

I would hijack MORE threads, but I cant run in Heels.....

• Members

So now Hoffman's friend Katz is suing National Enquirer for 50 million dollars.

In a complaint filed in the New York Supreme Court, Bar Katz says, "The story is a complete fabrication: There was no interview. Bar Katz and Hoffman were never lovers. Bar Katz did not see Hoffman freebasing cocaine the night before he died, or at any other time. Bar Katz never saw Hoffman use heroin or cocaine."

http://www.mercurynews.com/celebrities/ci_25078859/philip-seymour-hoffmans-friend-sues-over-gay-allegations?nstrack=sid:12155563|met:0000103|cat:39|order:9&source=dailyme

I remember thinking when I first read the story, 'Jeez, what kind of creep is this guy that he would sell something like this to the Enquirer before his friend was even settled in his grave?' I did wonder about the source but it just didn't seem plausible that even a puss sack like the Enquirer would just make up the story wholesale.

More fool me.

• Members

What's the best way to floss your teeth? Is there a magic floss that will keep the dentist from being disappointed in me?

I tend to "go down" on gentlemen who maintain a nice, healthy "BUSH".... The pubic hair acts as a "floss" of sorts, and keeps those Dientes nice and Purdy.... but there is always a downside. You will be constantly picking pubic hair out of your teeth. However a small price to pay for Healthy , natural teeth in your Golden years.... :D:P:wacko: