Guest Paragon

Phillip Seymour Hoffman Dead At 46

Guest Paragon

Surely someone more knowledgable than me is the one to start the thread on the tragic death of America's finest actor. 46 year old Hoffman died do a drug overdose. I saw him perform in Death of A Salesman and was mesmerized. BY his dramatic performance. RIP

• Members

See Sucky, this is what I don't get.

A 48 year old man checks out of rehab, immediately shoots himself up with a lethal dose of heroin and it's "an unfortunate loss of a theatric Treasure." A 19 year old kid gets buzzed, acts a bit of a fool and it's all torches and pitchforks time.

I get that the Bieb is acting badly.

I get that he may well be on track for an unfortunate rendezvous with the parking lot of the Viper Room in 3 or 4 years.

I even get that he may harm others in route to said parking lot.

I just don't get why Hoffman's death evokes regret but Bieber's likely fate brings out venum and malice.

Guest PasadenaCA

A 48 year old man checks out of rehab, immediately shoots himself up with a lethal dose of heroin and it's "an unfortunate loss of a theatric Treasure." A 19 year old kid gets buzzed, acts a bit of a fool and it's all torches and pitchforks time.

I get that he may well be on track for an unfortunate rendezvous with the parking lot of the Viper Room in 3 or 4 years.

I just don't get why Hoffman's death evokes regret but Bieber's likely fate brings out venum and malice.

We'd sleep with the Bieb. ;-)

Guest PasadenaCA

Rest in peace. It's unfortunate that he died so young. I hope he finds peace and comfort in his afterlife.

I had to go onto Wikipedia to his biography to see what a truly phenomenal actor he was. He was a presence in a movie: I sort of felt a tension when he appeared on a scene.

It is tough to survive in the movie or entertainment industry: at least the atypical behavior of many celebrities suggest that there are issues with fame that could be hard to appreciate. I think it would take a pretty special person not to become overwhelmed by the adulation, just for doing your job. Can you imagine a crowd following you around at your place of work, telling you how good you are and bursting into spontaneous applause when you answer the phone or use the photocopier? It's no wonder people succumb to vices. It likely has to be a real star--a John Wayne--to realize that you're acting whenever you're in public; most of the time it's without a script.

• Members

Because Hoffmans body of work was impeccable and unmatched. Biebers entertainment contributions...... well no need to go there !

As far as I am concerned, Bieber is a useless piece of shit. Him being a cute twinky boy that all you Boy lovers lust after is what I dont get. So you see, you and I continue to baffle each other Missy !

• Members

Addictions and acting foolishly are both deficiencies in character, something very common these days. I am not saying life is easy. It is not. But what we learned growing up (those of us who did) is the salvation of our future as individuals and as a country. There are many temptations and it is all too easy to succumb to one or more of them. But, does that mean we should not try to resist? OK, sorry to be on a moral soapbox. I just see some validity to various reports of Black folks in the US having fewer out of wedlock children before the "great Society" than now. Out of wedlock children are at a distinct disadvantage. According to one report, only about 3% of children in married households are "mired" in poverty.

Again, I apologize for preaching. I am alarmed about what is going on in this country and do not wish to "just" say that I shall not be here for the final result. That is not sufficient.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

OK, I think I finally got it:

1) actor + impeccable body (of work) = free pass

2) pop singer + cute butt = pitchfork time

----

Wait! Wait!

I think I've fallen into an even deeper conundrum:

Does this mean that Hoffman's acting in that syrupy Robin Williams vehicle Patch Adams is to be classified as impeccable? :shocked:

----

Now I'm more confused than ever.

• Members
Now I'm more confused than ever.
For me, things got a little clearer when I realized I wasn't required to have an opinion about everybody else's behavior. More relaxing too. I can generally judge my own behavior OK because (1) I have most of the necessary information and (2) I can sometimes do something about it.
Drug use is an especially tough one. Not everyone's brain is wired the same way and reactions to the same drug can vary for different folks. Some are easily addicted and some not so much. Even alcohol can be a pleasant diversion for some and a life-changer for others. All I know is how it affects me.

Baby_New_Year_2.jpg

I think I'd enjoy the effects of heroin, if I could get past the idea of sticking a needle in my arm or someplace. But even then I wouldn't know until after I'd done it. And what if I turned out to be one of the unlucky ones? There's apparently a blend of heroin and fentanyl making the rounds, leaving lots of dead bodies in its wake. The drug dealers are said to factor a lost-customer rate of 5% or so into their calculations figuring they'll make it up in new customers looking for a higher high. For me, it's best not to bother.
The hardest part is figuring out how someone's actions may impact others. Hoffman's death will no doubt cause misery for his partner and kids. I regret his actions more than I do Bieber's whose parents would be devastated, but are capable of taking care of themselves. I don't buy into the idea that either one 'owes' anything to his fans or to society at large.
If JB's fans or S-A-L want to tie their wellbeing to a goofy nineteen year old kid I think they've got deeper issues than he has. So my plan is to remain a casual observer of his antics, hope for the best, and give him a hearty klop should we ever become more intimately involved. :rolleyes:

• Members
For me, things got a little clearer when I realized I wasn't required to have an opinion about everybody else's behavior. More relaxing too. I can generally judge my own behavior OK because (1) I have most of the necessary information and (2) I can sometimes do something about it.

Whoa, big boy, You think I don't see what you're doing?

You're judging, that's what!

Here I am having a perfectly good go round with Sucky (& both of us having all kinds of fun scraping I might add)...

and there you are all "Oh, no, you're judging!"

child+excited.jpg

"Voice of reason" my fat ass. Well I ain't havin none of that. And (best guess) neither will Sucky.

====

Come on, Sucky. Let's just ignore grumpy old lookin.

LOL, back to business!

kids-fighting.jpg

Here I am having a perfectly good go round with Sucky (& both of us having all kinds of fun scraping I might add)...

After calling me on it, good to see MsGuy himself indulging in a bit of the French disease. :shocked:

Next thing we know, he'll have it in full gallop. :lol:

• Members

Well, truthfully, lookin's last paragraph pretty much covers most of my thoughts on the subject.

If JB's fans or S-A-L want to tie their wellbeing to a goofy nineteen year old kid I think they've got deeper issues than he has. So my plan is to remain a casual observer of his antics, hope for the best, and give him a hearty klop should we ever become more intimately involved.

LOL, especially that last part and especially since Bieb's started to muscle up so nicely. (Thanks for the pix, TY :thumbsup:; can you find any showing off a cute, newly improved, more muscular white boy ass?)

• Members

There's apparently a blend of heroin and fentanyl making the rounds, leaving lots of dead bodies in its wake. The drug dealers are said to factor a lost-customer rate of 5% or so into their calculations figuring they'll make it up in new customers looking for a higher high.

Sadly, it looks like the heroin that Hoffman got was the fentanyl blend. Unless he was an informed and practiced user, he didn't stand much of a chance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2550708/Authorities-investigate-possible-link-killer-heroin-fentanyl-batch-Philip-Seymour-Hoffmans-death.html

• Members

child+excited.jpg

"Voice of reason" my fat ass. Well I ain't havin none of that. And (best guess) neither will Sucky.

====

Come on, Sucky. Let's just ignore grumpy old lookin.

LOL, back to business!

kids-fighting.jpg

Well missy, as for me, I kinda agree with lookin, and as for "judging", we ALL judge, whether consciously or unconsciously. Judgement is part of the Human psyche, an essential part I would imagine, and the reason GOD (if you believe in a GOD) gave it to us. Just think of human behavior if we DIDN'T have judgement. Imagine what Bieber would be doing, if he had NO judgement at all. Right now, he consistently employs his BAD judgement, but you can keep giving him passes cause he's cute and you fantasize tapping his ass..... I dont know Missy, you really disappoint me, being swayed by carnal desires. As much as I covet and worship Huge cock, I have never let it sway me... I am pretty staunch in my convictions....

Addictions and acting foolishly are both deficiencies in character, something very common these days. I am not saying life is easy. It is not. But what we learned growing up (those of us who did) is the salvation of our future as individuals and as a country. There are many temptations and it is all too easy to succumb to one or more of them. But, does that mean we should not try to resist? OK, sorry to be on a moral soapbox. I just see some validity to various reports of Black folks in the US having fewer out of wedlock children before the "great Society" than now. Out of wedlock children are at a distinct disadvantage. According to one report, only about 3% of children in married households are "mired" in poverty.

Again, I apologize for preaching. I am alarmed about what is going on in this country and do not wish to "just" say that I shall not be here for the final result. That is not sufficient.

Best regards,

RA1

Sorry, but spoken like someone who hasn't ever known an addict. Passing it off as a deficiency of character misses the point to me. This is called a disease for a reason, and turning a tragic death into an opportunity to preach is inappropriate. Then how you leap from that to "blacks are having too many babies" is just beyond me.

Perhaps our society could judge people when it actually first tried to help them. But it doesn't. It just gets on its high horse and looks down.

Guest Paragon

I knew that someone more qualified than me should have started this thread. No doubt they would have figured out a way to eulogize a fine actor, a loss to the stage, and no doubt to his friends and family. Surely that more qualified thread starter would have figured out a way to keep Bieber entirely out of this thread. Which is really where he belongs.

• Members

Unfortunately, I have known a few addicts and plenty of folks with addictive personalities. There are a lot of ways to succumb to human frailties aka deficiencies. I had no intention of invoking or referring to persons known or unknown with my comments. If you read my posts you might realize that I observe a lot of "segues" that perhaps do not occur to others. Sorry if that offends.

In regards to this very talented actor, he will be sorely missed by many.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Surely that more qualified thread starter would have figured out a way to keep Bieber entirely out of this thread.

I apologize, Paragon.

It was ill-mannered of Sucky and me to hijack your thread, not to mention disrespectful of the subject.

I'll do my best to avoid doing it again.

Guest PasadenaCA

I apologize, Paragon.

It was ill-mannered of Sucky and me to hijack your thread, not to mention disrespectful of the subject.

I'll do my best to avoid doing it again.

Before he leaves, we should have Bieber do a lap-dance as punishment.