AdamSmith

Rolling Stone profiles the Pope

• Members

As a life long Calvinist, this is the first Whore of Babylon whose doings I've ever found interesting (well, other than some of the gamier Renaissance popes). I am genuinely curious how this is all going to turn out.

Thanks for the post and keep posting any other good articles you run across, AS.

Would be interested in hearing any personal take you have on Il Papa as well.

• Members

Well, yes, Charlie, but...

bronx-cheer.jpg

... hyper-technically speaking, you could be generous and assume I was using "W of B" as a metonym (synecdoche?), drawing in the penumbra of all the Byzantine(& to this ex-protestant baffling) goings on of the Vatican.

Can I get a ruling on this, AS? :lol:

Guest PasadenaCA

Well, yes, Charlie, but...

bronx-cheer.jpg

... hyper-technically speaking, you could be generous and assume I was using "W of B" as a metonym (synecdoche?), drawing in the penumbra of all the Byzantine(& to this ex-protestant baffling) goings on of the Vatican.

Can I get a ruling on this, AS? :lol:

Smart talk like that still won't get you out of being Satan's roommate. ;-)

Both, actually.

Synechdoche: part used to refer to the whole, or vice versa. In this case using the whole (the Church) to refer to the part (its temporal Head).

Thanks in passing for furthering my education. I didn't realize until looking it up just now that it can work either way around -- not just part-for-the-whole.

Wikipedia further shows up my ignorance by reminding that synechdoche is a particular instance of metonymy:

Metonymy (/mɨˈtɒnɨmi/ mi-TONN-ə-mee)[1] is a figure of speech in which a thing or concept is called not by its own name but rather by the name of something associated in meaning with that thing or concept.[2] The words "metonymy" and "metonym" come from the Greek: μετωνυμία, metōnymía, "a change of name", from μετά, metá, "after, beyond" and -ωνυμία, -ōnymía, a suffix used to name figures of speech, from ὄνῠμα, ónyma or ὄνομα, ónoma, "name."[3]

For instance, "Hollywood" is used as a metonym for the U.S. film industry because of the fame and cultural identity of Hollywood, a district of the city of Los Angeles, California, as the historical center of film studios and film stars.[4] The national capital is often used to represent the government of a country, such as "Westminster" for Parliament of the United Kingdom, "Ottawa" for Parliament of Canada, or "Washington" for United States government.[5]

Metonymy and related figures of speech are common in everyday talk and writing. Synecdoche and metalepsis are considered specific types of metonymy. Polysemy, multiple meanings of a single word or phrase, sometimes results from relations of metonymy. Both metonymy and metaphor involve the substitution of one term for another.[6] In metaphor, this substitution is based on some specific analogy between two things, whereas in metonymy the substitution is based on some understood association or contiguity.[7][8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metonymy

• Members

Smart talk like that still won't get you out of being Satan's roommate. ;-)

Hmmm...

Are we talking Lucifer Light Bringer Satan here or or Seven Headed Beast of Babylon Satan?

Just seems like something I should know before I make any decisions.