TotallyOz

No IHG Hotels in Rio at all

After the Intercontinental was sold a few years back, I thought for sure that IHG would acquire another property or two but they have not. Rio is still lacking any IHG hotel. I find this odd for a major international city.

Has anyone heard of them building one there?

• Members

Quite a few new properties are planned for openings before 2016. I am not sure how many will actually be built or what will become of them after the circus leaves town.

I will be looking towards RIO in 2015. Some new hotels will be open by then and I am guessing they will be hungry for customers.

Unfortunately a lot of them are being built on the outskirts of town for security purposes- which will necessitate a car hire to get to the fun spots,

• Members

Seriously, sometime last month there was coverage of the total rehab of the Hotel Gloria, to be named the Hotel Gloria Palace. There was mention in the article of possible hotel chains to take over the management. All of this went bye-bye with the bankruptcy of Eike Batisita. Kind of like the Donald and his gambling empire shambles. But worse. Much, much worse.

Here's a link to what was to be. For certain, the place will not be open in time for the World Cup and for the Olympics? There is a large gaping hole in the back of the complex where a new tower was planned.

http://exame.abril.com.br/negocios/album-de-fotos/o-novo-hotel-gloria-que-eike-nao-tirou-do-papel-em-20-fotos

• Members

At one time, The Donald had his sticky fingers involved in the rehab/reopening of the thirty story tower in Sao Conrado. Here is a link from the Prefeitura/Rio Municipal Government that the project is supposed to be completed in May 2014 with the Intercontinental chain as the operator of the Oscar Neimeyer building with preserved gardens from the hand of Roberto Burle Marx.

http://www.barralerta.com.br/component/content/article/243-prefeitura-anuncia-o-projeto-do-novo-hotel-nacional-em-sao-conrado.html

• Members

Hmmm. Well, as of September 2012, the rehab has not gotten off of the paper. Of course, this being Brasil, the developers who paid 85million Reais for the property, are blaming the Intercontinental group for problems with the negotiation.

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/a-um-mes-do-fim-da-licenca-reforma-do-hotel-nacional-ainda-nao-comecou-6041545