TampaYankee

The Definitive Guide to Reheating Leftovers

• Members

The Definitive Guide to Reheating Leftovers

Rachel Tepper Jan 17, 2014

Leftovers: the same food you had last night, except a little grosser!

Well, it doesn’t have to be that way. Strategically choosing the stovetop over the microwave could reinvigorate countless pizza slices. And microwaving your rice the right way could make leftover Chinese food a lot more appetizing.

See attached article to learn how to reheat almost everything languishing on those refrigerator shelves.

http://www.yahoo.com/food/the-definitive-guide-to-reheating-leftovers-73647466122.html

• Members

My sister is the worst person I know about eating food that has all but grown legs whilst in the fridge. What usually works for me (who also does not like to waste anything) is to carefully put it into the fridge, wait a couple days and then, throw it out.

One of the problems with the guide is for small portions one is using a lot of energy for re-heating. Low energy use + doing it quickly, especially for smaller portions, is what the microwave is all about. Using the stove or oven also tends to pile up extra dishes to be washed.

There are plenty of "tricks" for using the microwave for simple reheating. For instance, I sprinkle on water to pizza slices before reheating. Kind of like a Methodist baptism. Using lower power setting and stirring more often is important in microwave re-heating.

OTOH, some foods do not need re-heating. "Good" fried chicken will be just as good, if not better, when cold. :smile:

Best regards,

RA1

Another "trick" for reheating small portions without the soggies or other pathologies of microwaving is to get a countertop convection oven.

I bought the $45 Black & Decker model pictured below a few months ago, and it easily handles 4 out of every 5 things I would previously have heated up the big oven for, or else put into the microwave with less than yummy outcome. Not only reheating, but baking/roasting of any fish, fowl or meat that will fit. It is high and deep enough to accommodate a medium-size whole chicken, boned leg of lamb, big salmon fillet, etc. Bakes cake well too, no hot spots -- not something I expected. Broils pretty nicely also. And toasts of course.

Be careful to avoid some models, such as KitchenAid's current countertop convection oven model. I used to swear by all things KitchenAid but last year bought one of those, found it was no good at all, promptly returned for refund. Afterward I Googled for consumer reviews of same, and found many posts accurately reporting that model's "floppy toast" :lol: and other shortcomings.

From that I learned the general habit of glancing at online consumer reviews before buying something. If 8 of 10 register the same complaint, there is likely good reason.

3447471_330.jpg

• Members

Excellent alternative. Also very good for one or two baked potatoes which a microwave will cook but not give that "crusty' finish. I like to eat the whole potato, skin and all. Ditto for companions. ^_^

I have a toaster oven but might have to consider trading it in for a counter top convective model.

Best regards,

RA1

Just an update on the above-referenced Black & Decker contraption...

It continues to pay for itself. Haven't had to use the big range oven more than 4 times since buying this wondrous thing -- just for a couple of holiday turkeys and a couple of pound cakes in a big tube pan too tall for the countertop oven.

At this minute a luscious-smelling pork roast is a-roasting for dinner in said device. Mmmm.

• Members

Leftover Pizza? Does that even exist? Not in my universe. ^_^

The other suggestions are worthwhile and appreciated.

I find that I use the convection small oven as much as possible instead of the std oven unless whatever I am cooking won't fit in the convection small oven. The other cooking appliance that I find that I can't do without is the slow cooker and it has its place for some things, especially soups.

• Members

Just an update on the above-referenced Black & Decker contraption...

It continues to pay for itself. Haven't had to use the big range oven more than 4 times since buying this wondrous thing -- just for a couple of holiday turkeys and a couple of pound cakes in a big tube pan too tall for the countertop oven.

At this minute a luscious-smelling pork roast is a-roasting for dinner in said device. Mmmm.

I bought the B&D a couple of years ago. I use it constantly. It does tend to heat faster than the oven, so you have adjust times etc. for it to really work the way you want, but it is amazing. Now a pork roast, that just sounds delectable. :yes:

• Members

A slow cooker is wonderful for my ham and beans recipe but also good for stews, etc. My biggest problem is that it cooks better when full and I end up with more than I can possibly eat. So, you all come on down. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1