TampaYankee

2014's Most Affordable Cities For Budget Living

• Members

2014's Most Affordable Cities For Living On A Budget, According To Apartment Guide

For many Americans, a new year means a new budget -- especially if a move is in your future. And if you're thinking of heading to a big city in 2014 while keeping your resolution of saving some serious cash, cities like New York (where an apartment can cost you more than a castle) just won't make the cut.

Lucky for us, Apartment Guide took a second to look at their internal listing data and the Cost of Living Index by The Council for Community and Economic Research to determine the metros with the lowest rent AND lowest cost of living. Sounds like a win-win in our book.

o-BEST-BUDGET-CITIES-570.jpg?1

See original article at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/07/2014-most-affordable-cities_n_4554763.html

• Members

Agree about those affordable cities.

But think I'll hit up some affluent friends to go in on a time-share buy of one of these French castles that cost the same as a shit box in NYC: :Dhttp://www.buzzfeed.com/benrosen/6-castles-that-cost-less-than-an-apartment-in-nyc

Look before you leap. Taxes and maintenance are gonna be ball busters. :o

Guest CharliePS

Apologies to RA1 about Memphis, but I have been to all of these cities, and no matter how low the rents, you couldn't persuade me to live in any of them. Well, maybe Augusta, which is very pretty in the spring, and does have one good Indian restaurant (or did, the last time I was there).

• Members

No need to apologize. You may have read when I said I find something good about every place I visit but that does not mean there are not inadequacies or problems with each and every one. So far, I have not found a place enough "better" than the MEM area to make me consider moving. Places that have friends or family are always attractive and any new place holds my interest. in other words I can make do wherever I happen to be although I am not jumping up and down to go to some places. The Middle East comes to mind. Also, somewhat different from a lot of folks, I leave MEM and any where else I happen to be after a short while. One year I was only in MEM about 60 days.

Some folks may find this hard to understand but, for me, the goal isn't the destination but the journey. After I have been anywhere, LAS, SEA, SAN, BGR, ORD, LGA, CYUL, CYVX, AKL, SYD or thousands of other places for a few days, I am ready to move on. So long as I can travel, where I live is for a postal address and not necessarily a whole lot more.

Best regards,

RA1

Ironically, I've lived in 3 of these cities already. The only one I would consider again is Indianapolis. I have a lot of family and friends there and it's not a bad city even though the state is rather conservative.

Guest samfitzpatrick

I was raised in Indianapolis and would be comfortable moving back. It may be the largest of the cities on the list and has a great variety of museums and sports as well as some nice neighborhood areas. And Chicago, Detroit, Louisville, Columbus, and St. Louis are all within a four-hour drive.