TotallyOz

Garmin Fucked me, Apple Saved Me

I was recently traveling and I knew one place I was going needed the latest Garmin maps. I have a 5inch Garmin with Lifetime Updates so I plugged it into the computer and started the updates. After installing every Garmin software possible to try to get the latest updates, I could not get them to work. I did it 10 times over the course of 2 days and nothing. I had to leave the next AM and I just asked Siri: "Siri, take me to address."

Siri did it perfectly and I plugged my IPhone into the charger on the car and off I went. 10 hours later, Siri never went down, gave me perfect directions and guided me the entire way. Thank you Siri!

Anyone else use their Iphone this way?

• Members

I never used Siri for help but I have used Google Maps on my iphone the same way you did. I like that Google Maps will also show me how to walk to a place or even how to use local public transit.

It helped me find many places in Thailand and allowed me to walk from my hotel to the place I wanted to go.

I am a bit scared to use my iphone to walk around when I am in Brazil.

• Members

Garmin has some outstanding products and, obviously, a good business plan to get where they are now. However, they are not perfect and being "top dog" usually means you are a target if not already slipping. Either you are going up or down. There is no standing still.

During my career, I have watched several aeronautical companies rise to the top and then topple. NARCO was supplanted by King and King was supplanted by Garmin. There are several would be and current rivals nipping at Garmin's heels. Generally good as this keeps new products in the supply line and tends to reduce the prices thereof. However, the trick is to not get caught with the last of the "good" products just as a rival competitor takes the lead. In aviation this has happened many times to my customers, partly because of the advance of technology, partly because of the rise and fall of various companies and partly because of the inefficiency of the FAA.

Personally, I have been disappointed several times using various "driving directions" internet programs. Somehow I always get lost. Of course, pilots are generally not in their element on the ground. No compass, no direct to, no controllers to help and only two dimensions when three are so much easier. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest Hoover42

I use a number of nav apps on my phone and I love them all but I never stick to just one but instead bounce around from Google Maps, Apple Maps, and Waze depending on "my mood" (otherwise referred to as the current level of cosmic background radiation in my vicinity). ^_^

Waze has better real-time data, but it will often hyper-optimize routes just to shave 30-seconds off my trip by routing me through little used, but horribly paved, back roads.

Google knows exactly where I work and live and is very good at getting me to either place. It also works well with public transportation. Strangely, it has a hell-of-a-time properly pronouncing some of the street names in my area.

Siri and Apple Maps remembers which spots I travel to even without telling it (and can even tell me how often I've visited a certain spot) but the underlying map data in my area is out-dated with some of the addresses off by blocks.

When travelling to a new location, I check out all three and see if at least two out of three agree on the same route ^_^

Yes Siri and Apple Maps have always worked for me. I never had the issues that people complained about relating to Apple Maps. My car has a built in GPS too and it also works just fine as well. I like the Ford sync because it updates automatically via satellite.

Guest FourAces

I was recently traveling and I knew one place I was going needed the latest Garmin maps. I have a 5inch Garmin w I had to leave the next AM and I just asked Siri: "Siri, take me to address."

Siri did it perfectly and I plugged my IPhone into the charger on the car and off I went. 10 hours later, Siri never went down, gave me perfect directions and guided me the entire way. Thank you Siri!

I read this wrong from the start. First I saw some guy named Garmin fucked OZ and I was all excited only to find out he had only 5 inches :( Then I see OZ left Garmins place and thanked Siri for some directions ... but not sure to another twinks place or?

I read this wrong from the start. First I saw some guy named Garmin fucked OZ and I was all excited only to find out he had only 5 inches :( Then I see OZ left Garmins place and thanked Siri for some directions ... but not sure to another twinks place or?

Trust me, a 5 inch guy would never make it in my bed. ^_^