Guest FourAces

Looking Backward At 2013

Guest FourAces

So guys as you look over your shoulder as we near the close of 2013 what do you think? On a personal level did you achieve what you set out to do? Any real surprizes for you? Was it a good year?

2013 was probably the toughest year for me. I nearly lost my father in April and had to spend a significant amount of time with him as we transitioned him from home to hospital to nursing home and then to an assisted living condo. With all of the attention and his own stubbornness he is doing better now and at 90 that is pretty significant. During all that time, I've been dealing with some health issues relating to a condition effecting a neuromuscular degeneration. It's a rare condition that has no known cause or cure. But it can be controlled with medication and we've had a very tough time normalizing those meds with my neurologist. So this has been a very rough and frustrating year for me. I only hope 2014 is more stable.

• Members

Overall a pretty good year, all things considered. Started off being rather uneventful for the first six months but ended up with me finding, buying and moving into the closest thing to my dream house. I am looking forward to spending my first holiday in the new place and feel very blessed, content and happy at how things have turned out this year, rather differently (in a good way) from what I had initially thought earlier in the year.

Guest NCBored

In some ways, 2013 was a year of accepting that my life has changed. I brought my father to live with me in 2012, and gradually came to realize that he is incapable of living alone. And I came to accept that my professional career is over - no job offers, plus the realization that I couldn't accept a job unless I was willing to put my father in a nursing home.

Last week, a lady ran a red light at an intersection and hit my car, totaling it. (I've actually been thinking about getting a new vehicle - now I'll have to do that very quickly!

Hoping 2014 will be better!

Guest CharliePS

I had a couple of nice trips, no illnesses to speak of, no deaths of close family or friends, no catastrophic experiences, no overly expensive experiences, and my partner and I finally got married, so overall I would call it a good year.

• Members

So guys as you look over your shoulder as we near the close of 2013 what do you think? On a personal level did you achieve what you set out to do? Any real surprizes for you? Was it a good year?

Not looking forward to trying to train myself to put 2014 on my checks. I'm still writing 2012.

Or 200x or even 1998 sometimes; all depends on how much my gears are slipping on any given day.

DSC05594.JPG

On the up side, I almost always know what month it is. Usually don't even have to think about it very much. Go figure.

====

Now what was the question again?

• Members

Expat and NCBored-

These things happen and I hope you will deal with them with equanimity, not always easy but always useful. I lost my mother slightly over a year ago, so I am hoping you guys will relish the days remaining to you and yours.

CharliePs-

I know you are not a spring chicken any longer (as neither am I) so I hope you will take what is offered with gratitude and happiness. I do.

Best regards,

RA1

I had a very productive year in 2013. No complaints at all. The year ends with me helping take care of an elderly family member for a prolonged amount of time. I never really thought I'd be back in Alabama for more than a week at a time but it looks like I'll be spending more time in the deep south this year than I did since I left when I was 18.

Business wise, I am looking forward to 2014. I have some fun things in store. ^_^