gap1972

3rd South America trip, brazil and Patagonia

• Members

Another wonderful trip came to an end. A few things I learned:

1. If you visit during New Years, avoid small cities such as Curitiba, stick with beach cities or mega city such as Sao Paulo

2. If it's less than 6 hours by bus, and you are not departing from São Paulo, try bus instead of plane

3. If you like slim twink type,in São Paulo, the place to be is Fragata

Can't wait to go back, but got to work and pay the bills. A few pics to wrap things up.post-112459-0-04367600-1389440738_thumb.post-112459-0-52946700-1389440645_thumb.post-112459-0-18602500-1389441212_thumb.

post-112459-0-31025200-1389440929_thumb.

I enjoyed reading your posts! They have made me want to revisit Fragata! It's been at least 6 or 7 years since I stopped by there!

Also, how was hiking in Patagonia? I have heard it is beautiful there but windy and chilly.

• Members

Hi, Tom! Hiking in Patagonia is quite challenging physically, but I experienced the most peaceful mind ever in the parks. Torres Del Paine in chile is more remote (pristine) than el chalten in Argentina. Both have breathtaking views. But if one wants to get real close to nature, TDP is the place to be. Careful though, if 5-10 hour tough hikes daily and sleep in dorm bed or tent is not your thing, save your money go somewhere comfy ;) Weather is hit or miss, I had 1.5 rainy days, 3 good days. TDP wind is in its own category, an experience by itself. El chalten has comfy hotels you can come back to every night, some gentler trails. I had 3 cloudy days and 1 clear, thank goodness, left happy that I saw Fitz Roy in its full glory.

In addition to the physical challenge, it's not cheap nor easy going there either. Cost me about 2500$ for a 11 day trip starting from buenos aires. I loved it, worth every penny for me. The contrast also makes the sauna visits in São Paulo afterwards much sweeter ^_^

Do check out fragata on your next trip, the boys there are very accommodating in bed too ^_^