TotallyOz

13-Year Old Bar Mitzvah Boy Makes Case For Gay Marriage

• Members

Picture It:

The Bar Mitzvah Boy IS Giving His Speech. He starts the spiel about gay marriage.

Suddenly.....

Flying at him from the balcony, dozens and dozens of wigs from the women in attendance.

He was stupid enough to try to give his speech in a Lubovitcher Chabad.

Can we give a joint Oy Vay?

Guest Fluffypuff

After watching the speech, got me to thinking as to what type of rabbi would permit this speech in his shul on shabat.

Reformed, of course. I'd love to see this speech before a conservative or orthdox congreation and see ans hear the responses..

The fact that a synagogue is "Conservative" does not refer to its political views. In general, it means that a significant part of the service is in Hebrew.

I went to a conservative synagogue in NY where the rabbi is a woman; and on Yom Kippur, in addition to the traditional confessions of sin ("We have gossiped; we have not followed God," they included "We have not respected workers' rights; we have been homophobic; we have hurried to make war instead of peace.")

You're right that this would not take place in an Orthodox synagogue. Orthodox rabbis are generally against marriage equality, and Orthodox Bar Bitzvahs do not include anything but Torah readings by the kid--and certainly nothing in English.