Guest EXPAT

Discovering manhood commercial . . . well done

• Members

LOL, who the hell still uses those old Gillette double bladed face slicers? I still remember reading about Gillette's invention of the first twin blade razor and waiting impatiently for over a year until they were finally released retail. 1968, maybe?

1373956268_97203.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's nowhere in my home town that even sells the two sided blades any more. I think the old timey single edge blades are still sold in hardware and craft stores; some kinds of cutters uses the things as a disposable edge.

• Members

Slightly different topic. When Gillette got their first Gulfstream many year ago, they needed to do "proving runs" which basically meant flying it around without passengers. The pilots asked their wives to go to lunch one day and they flew to Bermuda. Fun for all.

Also, I think I remember that Gillette did a LOT of business in South America and derived a large percentage of their business therefrom. There was some "manly" reason for this but I have forgotten what it is.

Best regards,

RA1

Also, I think I remember that Gillette did a LOT of business in South America and derived a large percentage of their business therefrom. There was some "manly" reason for this but I have forgotten what it is.

In the Brazil threads here, some have mentioned (and the pictorial evidence seems to support!) a trend among many guys to shave the pits & privates.

• Members

In the Brazil threads here, some have mentioned (and the pictorial evidence seems to support!) a trend among many guys to shave the pits & privates.

I don't think that factoid was extensively used in their national ad campaigns. ^_^

The gimcrack I believe is a mandoline. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

I don't think that factoid was extensively used in their national ad campaigns. :smile:

Imagine that! :D

The gimcrack I believe is a mandoline. :smile:

It is. I once bought a fancy one with several interchangeable blades for various cutting operations -- slicing, thick & thin julienne-ing, etc. The device -- either German-made or Dutch, something like that -- looked so alarming to my hubby that he urged me to return it.

I didn't listen to him, but should have. Unlike the simple ones, this fancy model had a hand guard to prevent you from slicing your fingertips when using it. BUT -- changing the blades themselves was such an engineering challenge that it almost inevitably resulted in sliced fingers.

P.S. It was in fact the one below. Swiss-made. Wouldn't you know.

smart-guard-mandoline.jpg

http://www.zyliss.com/our-products/ProductDetails.aspx?Id=408&CategoryId=2