Guest lurkerspeaks

How serious do you take boycotts?

Guest lurkerspeaks

People talk about boycotting businesses that are not gay friendly. Chick-fil-a being one of the most famous (or infamous).. But their chicken sandwiches are really tasty...

Today is the premiere of Ender's Game. The blockbuster movie was written by a very anti-gay author.

Will you see Ender's game? Do you eat at Chick-fil-a? How staunch are you on supporting anti-gay boycotts?

• Members

Other than "professional" protesters, I am afraid most of us do not take any cause very seriously until it really hits home or close to home. Otherwise, would we have those idiots in Washington?

Personally, I have never eaten at Chick-fil-a but that has to do with avoiding fast food in general. I also very rarely watch a movie, either at home or at a theater, so I almost surely will not be seeing Ender's game.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest NCBored

The debate here earlier this year about Ender's Game was pretty extensive. I will see the movie, unless circumstances intervene, but I respect those who choose otherwise.

Generally speaking, I think the publicity or threat of boycotts is what has the impact, except where it's a small, local business. Has a boycott ever been shown to have a significant effect on revenues?

Guest lurkerspeaks

Remember that Oregon bakery that refused to make a wedding cake for same sex marriage? If I remember correctly, it has closed down.

I am a fan of Chick-fil-a, but have only eaten there once since all the boycott issue from a year or so ago. As far as Ender's Game, i would like to see it, but haven't decided yet if I actually will. And btw, the Chick-fil-a temptation has become somewhat stronger as one opened a couple of miles west of me just a few months ago, and another one is opening soon just one mile east of me.. Be strong my willpower.....

Guest NCBored

Remember that Oregon bakery that refused to make a wedding cake for same sex marriage? If I remember correctly, it has closed down.

I am a fan of Chick-fil-a, but have only eaten there once since all the boycott issue from a year or so ago. As far as Ender's Game, i would like to see it, but haven't decided yet if I actually will. And btw, the Chick-fil-a temptation has become somewhat stronger as one opened a couple of miles west of me just a few months ago, and another one is opening soon just one mile east of me.. Be strong my willpower.....

Lurker, notice that I said in my post "except where it's a small, local business". (I DID remember the bakery).

The calls for a Chick-Fil-A boycott actually resulted in some backlash events in which people were encouraged to patronize establishments as shows of support. I doubt any of that resulted in any significant effect on profits.

Guest zipperzone

I would be stupid if I thought my boycott of Walmart changed their bottom line.

But I absolutely refuse to cross their door because of the way they treat their employees.

As well as the devastating effect they have on small business when they open new locations.

Guest hitoallusa

Well I feel sorry for the Oregon bakery... I don't think it's not a victory since a group of customers brining down a small business owned by a family is possible and very easy. The same customers won't be able to do that to big businesses and banks. It's a bit sad and it's abuse of power on the weak. Yet some people think why bullies exist in our children's school? Because they themselves are bullies and they simply aren't aware of it. What a irony..

• Members

I allow that people will have opinions different to mine, but I would never knowingly support a business that has anti-gay policies. There is enough anti-gay prejudice in the world already, without my inadvertently fuelling it.

In the same way, I would not hire or give money to a 'straight' or 'bisexual' guy working in a gay environment. I simply prefer to give my money and support to gay-friendly places and gay workers.

Guest NCBored

Another interesting article on the topic of whether we should boycott Ender's Game: http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/film/2013/07/31/queer-irony-enders-game

It can also be argued that the movie is a different piece of art than the book; the latter is solely the creation of the author, while the movie is the product of the director and others whose hands have adapted the original work.

But IMO, we should each do what feels right to us.

(And it took me a minute to understand JKane's clever idea)

• Members

Ender's game is inherently about a different young boy who gets mercilessly bullied and manages to overcome and triumph.

That Mr. Card wrote such an amazing book which spoke to so many of us then took the profit and notoriety to tell a significant amount of his fan base "No, you're nothing, you are an abomination who doesn't deserve to be, and since I can't do anything about that, at least I can help establish laws making you a second class citizen which you'll have to deal with for 20 years..."

Now that we've gotten through that 20 years of hell in many places, he still hasn't apologized, and now says, "I don't understand why you can't just let the work speak for itself and give me more money? I'm kinda pour because I spent a lot of money and time on things like the National Organization for Marriage. Sheesh, why do people hate me???"

Fuck that guy!

• Members
I don't have a lot of boycotts going, but I take them pretty seriously.

Had to go into a Walmart last year for the first time in a decade as they were the only ones open with a pair of reading glasses that I needed. I held my nose paying for them. Stinky.gif

When I was back East last year, I toyed with the idea of going to a Chik-fil-A, just to see what they were like. It would have been a once-and-done just for curiosity, and in hopes that it was just another dry chicken breast, but it was Sunday and they were closed. Not sure I would actually have gone through with it had I got through the door.

No Russian vodka from now on either.

And I haven't gone near a Koch brothers product for years. And won't, even though Brawny paper towels used to be my favorite, and Dixie cups and Quilted Northern were things I bought occasionally.

While I agree with zipperzone that none of my little boycotts will put anyone out of business, I think we have all multiplied our effectiveness by speaking out here and elsewhere. Without this Board, I probably wouldn't even have known about some of these miscreants. I for one am grateful to those of you who stay aware, and care, and share. :thumbsup:

Guest NCBored
I don't have a lot of boycotts going, but I take them pretty seriously.
Had to go into a Walmart last year for the first time in a decade as they were the only ones open with a pair of reading glasses that I needed. I held my nose paying for them. Stinky.gif
When I was back East last year, I toyed with the idea of going to a Chik-fil-A, just to see what they were like. It would have been a once-and-done just for curiosity, and in hopes that it was just another dry chicken breast, but it was Sunday and they were closed. Not sure I would actually have gone through with it had I got through the door.
No Russian vodka from now on either.
And I haven't gone near a Koch brothers product for years. And won't, even though Brawny paper towels used to be my favorite, and Dixie cups and Quilted Northern were things I bought occasionally.
While I agree with zipperzone that none of my little boycotts will put anyone out of business, I think we have all multiplied our effectiveness by speaking out here and elsewhere. Without this Board, I probably wouldn't even have known about some of these miscreants. I for one am grateful to those of you who stay aware, and care, and share. :thumbsup:

Playing Devil's Advocate....What about everything made in China? Their human rights record is pretty bad too.

But I totally agree with your last paragraph.

• Members

I think that the Boycott thing has been used so much over the years to the point of over reaction and abuse, that John Q Public just doesn't pay any attention anymore. I hear another boycott announced and I just roll my eyes, as most people do now a days.

Boycotts use to really stand for something, Like the Birmingham Bus Boycotts during the Civil Rights days. But now it has just been over used to the point of virtually meaning nothing.

A good example was a few years ago Ford Motor stopped advertising in Gay print media for business reasons. So even with a strong History of support to the Gay Community several called for a boycott. It went nowhere and now in reflection with the rapid decline of print media everyone should see it was a smart business move for Ford to use those ad dollars elsewhere. It is the abuse of the "Boycott Call" like that, that has made a call to boycott almost useless.

• Members
Playing Devil's Advocate....What about everything made in China? Their human rights record is pretty bad too.

But I totally agree with your last paragraph.

Well, I won't boycott everything. I just got a MacBook Pro, knowing it was made in China. If they had another one sitting next to it but made in the U. S., I'd have paid an extra hundred dollars to get that one. So there are usually limits to boycotts for me. But if the Koch brothers bought Apple, I'd switch to something else. It's kind of a case-by-case basis, one purchase at a time.

In general, though, I try not to buy a whole lot of stuff. Mostly things I really need or want. So the Chinese won't get rich on me.

It's interesting to see how different folks approach the issue of boycotts, which I expect was lurkerspeaks' intention in starting the thread.