Guest hitoallusa

So who's lying?

Guest hitoallusa

An unnamed intelligence officer stated that Obama learned about the NSA operation targeting Merkel from NSA chief Gen. Alexander in 2010. But the NSA denies the allegation that Gen. Alexander has informed Obama of the operation. So who is lying? If Obama was not briefed about it then who gave them authority for the NSA to carry out such a sensitive spying activity in the first place???? Who has such authority in the NSA to carry out a risky spying mission without getting permission from president or the congressional oversight committee??? Is it the NSA really out of control?

I guess the Obama administration thinks that denying the allegation is a way to get out of this mess for them but it really makes the NSA look bad as an organization serious out of control without any supervision whatsoever in the end. I hope my Obama really didn't know about it and he is not lying. It will break my heart if he is lying.. I don't want to believe it.. A guy with such a beautiful smile, a beautiful wife and two adorable children whom he adores dearly can't possibly lie.. I hope it's not true.. I want to know the identity of the source though. Not sure whether a journalist can create a fake source for an article? These sources should come forward and reveal their identity. My poor Obama either way it is not good for him and the NSA.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/27/world/europe/germany-us-nsa-spying/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

• Members

Whatever happened to the the two source rule in journalism? Isn't there supposed to be two independent reliable/trustworthy sources to proceed with that in the media? Or have things deteriorated to such a point that it no longer applies...perhaps I am answering my own question.

• Members

Neither may be lying. Have you considered that each is telling the truth as they understand it? I doubt the unnamed intelligence officer was in the room when Obama was 'supposed' to have been told. Maybe Obama was never told. Maybe someone decided it was better not to inform him at that time. Maybe he was pulled away from that meeting and an unplanned event that the had to attend to. Maybe the word never got back to the unnamed source that it never happened. Who knows. This is a possibility. As to what the actual truth is, well, I wasn't in the room either.

Does anyone really believe that Obama runs all the major agencies on a day-to-day or even week-to-week basis? Or any other President for that matter. That is why these guys have Cabinet Secretaries and Agency Heads. They should report on major activities regularly, it is true. It is also true that the President is one man and that there are twenty four hours in a day and that lots of unplanned issues arise that need immediate attention. So Presidents have National Security Councils and Domestic Policy Councils and Economic Councils with people to monitor all the agencies and departments for the President, whoever he is. Sometimes guys drop the ball, sometimes they maybe exercise a little too much discretion deciding what the president needs to know at any given time.

Bottom line: shit happens. Things get missed that should not have. That doesn't necessarily mean that someone is lying. Of course that is always a possibility too. These are not explanations and not excuses just statement of possible occurrences.