TampaYankee

Apple Cider Season

• Members

It's that time of year. I love apple cider allowed to gently harden under refrigeration. Just finishing my first half-gallon of this season picked up from a local orchard. :smile: I've deprived myself the past few years for blood sugar considerations. I'm hoping the trade of sugar for alcohol will mitigate the sin. Think I'll have one more half gallon before I crawl back on the wagon. :wub:

Guest hitoallusa

I love love apple cider... It's one of my favorite drinks..

It's that time of year. I love apple cider allowed to gently harden under refrigeration. Just finishing my first half-gallon of this season picked up from a local orchard. :smile: I've deprived myself the past few years for blood sugar considerations. I'm hoping the trade of sugar for alcohol will mitigate the sin. Think I'll have one more half gallon before I crawl back on the wagon. :wub:

• Members

I also enjoy apple cider and am looking forward to getting some from a local orchard near me. Never lasts long enough to get hard cider but I might buy some extra for that specific purpose as I would like to try that ^_^ How long does it take?

• Members

I also enjoy apple cider and am looking forward to getting some from a local orchard near me. Never lasts long enough to get hard cider but I might buy some extra for that specific purpose as I would like to try that :smile: How long does it take?

It is best to do it in a fridge although I have done it in a parking garage. (My first time, I had taken my first real career job in a new state and I was living in a hotel while searching for an apartment.) If you have a cool basement then that works too. The warmer the environment, the faster the fermentation goes, the more it takes on a hint of vinegar aroma IMO. Ferment slow to keep it nice and apple-ee You will notice something after a week in the firdge. 10-14 days is a good point to start sipping. It can go another week or two as you savor it depending on how sweet you like it.

Caveat Emptor: The fermentation releases CO2 which causes the cider to become effervescent like champagne. Thus it is under pressure. You MUST loosen the cap at the beginning of the process and check it every couple of days to release pressure else the container will explode. You will notice because the plastic carton becomes deformed -- rounded edges and bottom. Just remove the cap for an instant. Keep the cap on except when you 'burp' it. You want the CO2 to carbonate the cider. That is half the point. The other half is a mild alcohol contribution. :D

Too much sugar in that addictive "seasonal" beverage. I'll opt for my good ole Cranberry juice, which is good for the urinary tract as well !

That's why you let it harden. If your patient and it is to your taste it will become as dry as any dry wine. The up side is you choose when the sweetness/dryness factor is right for you.

The other upside of cider -- cranberry juice won't ferment! :D

At least not the ultrapasteurized red corn syrup that passes for same today.

• Members

The other upside of cider -- cranberry juice won't ferment! :D

At least not the ultrapasteurized red corn syrup that passes for same today.

I'll just settle for a slice of apple crumb pie, or a ramekin of Apple Brown Betty with fresh whipped cream. Never was much of a drinker. :no::no: