TownsendPLocke

Progress is being made. A small but significant moment

Beautiful story! A tear came across my eye just reading it.

We have come such a long way. I was 28 when I came out. I didn't have the nerve to do it earlier and being from Alabama, I was terrified. I love going back home to visit now and seeing rainbow necklaces on the guy at Best Buy.

Just as a side note, I store the Armistad Maupin books from my library to read them and then returned them. :( But, they were beautiful.

Of course we see this all the time now. But I think I would be shocked to my core if I saw it in my small town in Indiana. I suspect we are years away from that happening. I can see it happening even in a small town in California long before I see it happening in a small town in Indiana. But hope springs eternal.

• Members

Who would have thought that when the ice broke, the thaw would have proceeded at the rate it has. It is almost like a damn busting: seeming to remain ever fixed it slowly erodes over time until enough small cracks and fissures appear to weaken the structure that lets all the pent up energy behind that dam have its way. The dam has yet to be washed away completely but water is gushing under high pressure blowing bigger and bigger chunks away so that water is significantly unimpeded in its journey to be free. The conservative social establishment is trying its best to plug the holes with their fingers and thumbs in a futile attempt to hold back the onslaught -- too little too late.

Of course we see this all the time now. But I think I would be shocked to my core if I saw it in my small town in Indiana. I suspect we are years away from that happening. I can see it happening even in a small town in California long before I see it happening in a small town in Indiana. But hope springs eternal.

I don't know. Yesterday I saw very similar in a KFC in a small town out in the sticks in NC. Not Chapel Hill! Rather one of the fading mill towns that dot the Piedmont, where open gay expression and behavior were unimaginable a few short years ago.

I'll be the first to report anything I see. I'm going back to Indiana for my father's 90th birthday in late November. I just don't see it happening there anytime soon.

• Members

TY, you write so beautifully! I think you missed our calling as a novelist! Or, are your secretly that 50 Shades guy?

Thanks. I find that surrounding oneself with informative, thought provoking contributors with the gift of expression encourages one to up his game. We are fortunate to have such a group here, the characteristic I like most about this site, narrowly beating out the hot guys. Ah well, priorities change with age. :(

• Members

I have often characterized my career as giving away millions of dollars worth of advice every day and just, once in a while, needing to sell an airplane to pay the bills. Perhaps I should have listened to your CEO or maybe I did. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1