AdamSmith

With openly gay correspondent, NBC sticks thumb in Russia's eye

With openly gay correspondent, NBC sticks thumb in Russia's eye

By DYLAN BYERS | politico.com
10/18/13 3:36 PM EDT

NBC has decided to send correspondent Thomas Roberts to Moscow this November to co-host the network's coverage of the Miss Universe pageant -- an asignment Roberts, who is openly gay, says he took "because it is a huge, visible opportunity for LGBT people."

The decision to send Roberts to Russia is a move in opposition of the country's official anti-homosexual stance. Roberts, who is also an MSNBC host, has publicly criticized what he describes as Russia's "homophobic laws," a reference to new laws prohibiting the promotion of nontraditional sexual relationships to minors and the adoption of Russian children by gays.

NBC declined to address specifically Roberts' advocacy on behalf of gay rights, but told POLITICO that it was Roberts who expressed interest in co-hosting the event.

"We've considered Thomas Roberts as host in the past," Doug Vaughan, NBC's executive vice president of specials, told POLITICO in a statement. “Thomas approached us and expressed his interest in the job. Thomas is smart and very talented, and we jumped at the opportunity to have him join us in Russia."

On Friday, in an appearance on MSNBC's Morning Joe and in an essay on MSNBC.com, Roberts said he hoped he and his husband's presence in Russia would demonstrate that it was acceptable to be gay.

"I think it's a wonderful assignment, because this is going to be seen by a billion people in over 190 countries, and if they happen to find out that I'm gay and married and that my husband Patrick's going to be there with me -- fantastic," he said on Morning Joe.

In his blog post, he wrote: "We must be visible, we must show up, and, as Harvey Milk said, we must 'give them hope.'"

The the Miss Universe Organization has also voiced opposition to Russian laws, which it says are “diametrically opposed to the core values” of Miss Universe.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/10/with-openly-gay-correspondent-nbc-sticks-thumb-in-175430.html?ml=po_r