AdamSmith

Top 10 sci-fi movies

The Guardian's selection of the top 10 sf movies ever:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2013/oct/16/top-10-sci-fi-movies

To be sure, such lists are usually tedious, tendentious, uninformed, and just plain wrong. This one, though, I think is about as close to right as it gets, in both the choices (10 being an arbitrarily too-small number) and the quite good summary and commentary.

I would have switched 2001 and Star Wars. I think Star Wars should be #1 for not only the story but the impact on pop culture it had like no other movie ever.

Agree about Dune.

Again, given their general good judgment here, I would like to have seen, say, their top 20 choices. To see for instance how they would have chosen among -- and ranked -- some of the Golden Age works:

Forbidden Planet (my personal favorite second only to 2001, though I can see the arguments why you might edge it out in favor of the 10 here).

The Day the Earth Stood Still, though again ditto.

Things to Come. Although granted Kubrick had something of a point when, after Clarke sent him to see it in preparing to make 2001, Kubrick came back and said "I will never see another movie you recommend." ^_^

Arguably the first make of The Time Machine. (?)

I would have switched 2001 and Star Wars. I think Star Wars should be #1 for not only the story but the impact on pop culture it had like no other movie ever.

You make a good case. Just goes to show the impossible job they set for themselves. How to balance all the judgment criteria -- cultural impact vs. pure film art, etc.? You also make me think, if the list were longer, where would they rank The Empire Strikes Back, generally agreed a better film in the absolute than Star Wars?