AdamSmith

Americans Are Way Behind in Math, Vocabulary, and Technology

Well, this is encouraging.

Americans Are Way Behind in Math, Vocabulary, and Technology
The United States ranks lower than other developed countries in many key skills, according to a new report.
Roberto A. Ferdman The Atlantic Oct 9 2013, 7:31 AM ET

A new global report (pdf) by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development finds that Americans rank well below the worldwide average in just about every measure of skill. In math, reading, and technology-driven problem-solving, the United States performed worse than nearly every other country in the group of developed nations.

Americans have trouble with words…
The report defines literacy as the “ability to understand, evaluate, use and engage with written texts to participate in society, to achieve one’s goals, and to develop one’s knowledge and potential” (p. 63). Only 78.3 percent of American adults reached a Level 2 (out of 5) in literacy, less than all other OECD members save Spain and Italy (p. 69). The average level of literacy in the U.S. is on par with that of Cyprus, Poland, and Austria (p. 65).
screen-shot-2013-10-08-at-8-45-03-am.png
OECD

…and numbers…

When it comes to math, American adults aren’t any better. In fact, they’re far worse.

Numerical proficiency in the U.S.—defined as the “ability to access, use, interpret and communicate mathematical information and ideas in order to engage in and manage the mathematical demands of a range of situations in adult life” (p. 77)—ranks near the bottom of all participating countries.
screen-shot-2013-10-08-at-9-01-18-am.png
OECD

Fewer than 34 percent of adults in the U.S. managed to score at a Level 3 (out of 5) or higher, while comparable numbers for countries like Japan, Finland, Sweden and the Netherlands were all well above 50 percent (p. 80). The US also has the second largest proportion of adults—9.1 percent—who scored below a Level 1, the most basic level of literacy (p. 81).

…and even computers

Americans are pretty behind when it comes to computer literacy, too. US adults scored toward the bottom in problem solving in a technology-rich environment, which the report describes as the intersection of “computer literacy” and “cognitive skills required to solve problems” (p. 88).

screen-shot-2013-10-08-at-9-03-46-am.png
OECD

The U.S. scored on par with Estonia, Ireland and Poland, and had more adults with proficiencies below Level 1—15.8 percent—than another other participating country (p. 89).

The problem mainly boils down to lacking skills among American young adults. Take a look:
screen-shot-2013-10-08-at-9-04-56-am.png
OECD

While older American adults (aged 55-65) scored better than any other country, young adults did just the opposite: They were the most computer-challenged of the 20 participating countries (p. 110).

• Members

Apparently about 22% of the US population would not be able to read, never mind understand this report. Yet, "everyone" must go to college and get a degree. One thing that means is college graduates who can barely function because their literacy level is somewhere back in high school or junior high where they were passed on without passing the coursework. It isn't that a lot of these folks are stupid, they are either lazy or improperly motivated or both.

The leadership of the US government is sorely lacking regarding education. Money and training to pass tests is not the same as learning the material. Local control should be much better. I fear we shall never know.

I know plenty of folks who are very successful in every meaningful way who never progressed past a 6th grade education. They can barely read and write but have made money, reared a family, run a business and been above average in a technical field. We now have a very large service economy. Many more folks need to get a technical or hands on education. There is money to be made and a good life to live.

I am sure there is plenty more to be said on this subject and I await other's input.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest hitoallusa

After reading the key facts on how the survey was done, I think the study is inconclusive and needs further work. Studies like these are subjected to funding issues and office politics inside the organization itself so I usually don't buy them. Having no statistic or normalization is another issue I have with this study. I'm not trying to deny the study at all, just that it needs to be repeated and its methods have to be adjusted.

• Members

... and on their way to being unable to sign in their name apparently. Seems there is a move afoot to discontinue cursive writing in this computer age. Could evolution be reverting us to become little more than slugs will cellphones eventually? :o

For those who are deniers there is still some sand left in between the birthers and climate cynics. :huh: