Lucky

October 6th, 1980...

Not really. I was only taking the smoke into my mouth a few times with cigarettes (for show for some ungodly reason) back 20 years ago but I never inhaled. But I did smoke pot 20 years ago many times (and inhaled that) but I haven't done either in at least 20 years now.

• Members

Not really. I was only taking the smoke into my mouth a few times with cigarettes (for show for some ungodly reason) back 20 years ago but I never inhaled. But I did smoke pot 20 years ago many times (and inhaled that) but I haven't done either in at least 20 years now.

Lucky you!

Guest NCBored

From age 21 to 32. Quit once; started up again 6 months later; quit again 6 months after that, for good, vowing Never again! Quitting is too much work.

Wow! That's my history almost exactly I smoked a pipe in college, then started cigarettes in grad school. Prior to quitting, I moved from unfiltered Gallois & Lucky's to some god-awful ultra-lites! (I remember a professor bumming one and then almost giving it back!)

I was smoking pretty mechanically. I quit for a month or so, then convinced myself I could smoke the occasional cigarette that I really enjoyed (after coffee or a meal). But pretty quickly, I was back up to a pack a day. :hyper: I repeated that pattern once more, before admitting it was 'all or nothing'. I was probably about 35 when I quit for good. :thumbsup:

Very similar indeed! I started after a friend's dinner party one drunken evening on her black-and-gold Sobranies, then went to (following the lit'ry lead of my poet-idol Ashbery) unfiltered Gitanes. When they occasionally became untasteable, I would pick up a pack of your even stronger and nastier ^_^ Galois. With the occasional peregrination over to Luckys, Chesterfields or Camels. On special occasions, Simon Arzt or other of those flattened-oval-profile Arabic brands. Eventually settled on Rothmans (blue) for the long haul.

To quit, went deliberately as you note to the broom straw taste of Marlborough Lights.

The last one of those I had was one I had thrown away, then fished back out of the (damp, warm-from-fermentation) bottom of the kitchen garbage bin. The Never-Again moment.

As for pipes, I tried one once in college, but immediately tossed it. Too good -- knew immediately that if I kept that up, shortly it would never leave my mouth ever again.

• Members

Never really a cigarette smoker for very long except for a couple years when I lived in China and it was very common to accept and smoke a cigarette from your host at some dinner or meeting. So that got me started for a bit but fortunately I didn't continue after I left that assignment.

My step father used to smoke a pipe and I loved the aroma but never took it up myself (although tempted to but like AS I think I would quickly become adicted to it). I do have a fondness for cigars and while others may find them smelly I very much enjoy them. I tend to limit them to special occasions probably only have 10 or 12 a year, mostly around the Christmas holidays and on the golf course. .

Guest CharliePS

So, we were about the same age when we stopped.

I stopped ten years before you did, and you're not ten younger than I am (but don't you wish!).

• Members

I smoked for many years and never tried to quit until I was persuaded that I would have emphysema at the very least if I kept going. To help me quit, I also quit drinking (then) as well as reducing "cigarette moments"- coffee, etc. Then I went cold turkey in 1984. For two days I am sure my fellow workers would have easily murdered me but after two weeks I knew I could quit forever. Nothing since and basically cannot stand to be around smoking.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest zipperzone

Fortunately I never really started. Thank God, as willpower is not a strongpoint of mine.

I tried several times because it was a "cool" thing to do but I was never able to inhale, so what's the point.

I think many people started because it gave them something to do with their hands in social situations.

I also think that many pipe smokers start because they like the image, not because they love the tobacco.

Guest CharliePS

I started with Lucky Strikes, because that was what my father had always smoked, but I hated getting flakes of tobacco in my mouth. Besides, I wanted something that looked more sophisticated--I was gay, after all--so I switched to filtered Parliaments, and smoked about a pack a day for eleven years. I did it mostly out of habit, but I liked having something to do with my hands when I was cruising in a bar, and offering or accepting a cigarette or a light was always a good way to open a conversation with someone. Lighting up was also a good way to finesse the awkward moments after one had cum.

Luther Terry, the Surgeon General who first declared that cancer warnings belonged on cigarette packs, was a neighbor of mine in those days, but I ignored the warnings.

Guest hitoallusa

Maybe I should try that so that guys don't just dress up and leave hurriedly before I talk about marriage.... lol.. :smile:

Lighting up was also a good way to finesse the awkward moments after one had cum.

Guest NCBored

Fortunately I never really started. Thank God, as willpower is not a strongpoint of mine.

I tried several times because it was a "cool" thing to do but I was never able to inhale, so what's the point.

I think many people started because it gave them something to do with their hands in social situations.

I also think that many pipe smokers start because they like the image, not because they love the tobacco.

I'm sure I started with a pipe to emulate some 'cool' friends of mine, and it seemed so worldly& sophisticated to a small-town boy!

Interestingly, it seemed to me that the best-tasting tobaccos I tried were the worst-smelling - and vice-versa.