Guest EXPAT

My First Big Gay Wedding

I went to my first big gay wedding today in New York City. It was held in a penthouse on the upper east side. It was very beautiful and very different. I really abhor straight weddings. I always have. So my fear was that they would duplicate straight traditions. But they didn't.

It was a close knit group of 40 people and it was so tastefully done with a great message and great vows. I'm so happy for the couple. They have been together 18 years this week and it's nice they decided to top off their relationship by getting married.

Of course I used to live in NYC and at the wedding were five other guys I had slept with over the last 20 years. And one of them was one of the grooms. Oops. We all had a great time.

That is so sweet. It really is great the we are now getting to see those we loved and care about with the ability to get married. I have not been to any gay marriages in NYC yet but I hope that I am so lucky to do that in the future as I have many friends from there.

Curious, did they throw the flowers in the air to see who was next?

They didn't have a bouquet but someone suggested that they should have a cock ring to remove instead of a garter. It was a single degrading but funny moment at the end of the reception.

• Members

I went to my first big gay wedding today in New York City. It was held in a penthouse on the upper east side. It was very beautiful and very different. I really abhor straight weddings. I always have. So my fear was that they would duplicate straight traditions. But they didn't.

It was a close knit group of 40 people and it was so tastefully done with a great message and great vows. I'm so happy for the couple. They have been together 18 years this week and it's nice they decided to top off their relationship by getting married.

Of course I used to live in NYC and at the wedding were five other guys I had slept with over the last 20 years. And one of them was one of the grooms. Oops. We all had a great time.

I'm curious Expat, what about straight weddings has caused you to abhor them?

Guest CharliePS

On a related note, I found this article on a long-term relationship and growing old together very moving: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/nyregion/58-years-and-counting-a-love-story.html?hp&pagewanted=all&_r=0

I wish your friends similar success.

I read that article last night, and immediately told my spouse to read it. It's us! (or at least it may be us in another ten years)

I'm curious Expat, what about straight weddings has caused you to abhor them?

I have never liked all of the fake pomp and circumstance - the bridesmaids and their dresses, the tuxes the walk down the aisle the music and all of the stupid dances at the reception. I prefer something more specific to the couple that isn't cookie cutter. And that's exactly what this was. I guess I always felt out of place at a straight wedding and that is also a big part of why I don't like them. But I really don't think a lot people who go through all of that actually like doing it that way. I do know that there are many women who live for weddings though.

Guest hitoallusa

I love weddings... The other day I saw a couple doing their wedding photo shoot and I overheard the bride telling her chaperone that she felt likes a princess.. lol.. She was pretty indeed in that dress. I guess it's once in a lifetime thing so it's so precious to anyone who is getting married. I don't like too fancy weddings.. I had a friend who got married in homemade dress and I thought it was as lovely as any fancy wedding I have ever been to. Their reception was catered by a friend of the couple and it was one of the best receptions. Most of all they are happily to be together. So I guess people forget the real meaning of marriage.

I have never liked all of the fake pomp and circumstance - the bridesmaids and their dresses, the tuxes the walk down the aisle the music and all of the stupid dances at the reception. I prefer something more specific to the couple that isn't cookie cutter. And that's exactly what this was. I guess I always felt out of place at a straight wedding and that is also a big part of why I don't like them. But I really don't think a lot people who go through all of that actually like doing it that way. I do know that there are many women who live for weddings though.

• Members

I love weddings... The other day I saw a couple doing their wedding photo shoot and I overheard the bride telling her chaperone that she felt likes a princess.. lol.. She was pretty indeed in that dress. I guess it's once in a lifetime thing so it's so precious to anyone who is getting married. I don't like too fancy weddings.. I had a friend who got married in homemade dress and I thought it was as lovely as any fancy wedding I have ever been to. Their reception was catered by a friend of the couple and it was one of the best receptions. Most of all they are happily to be together. So I guess people forget the real meaning of marriage.

A homemade wedding dress? hito, you Really disappoint me... I thought I trained you right ? Your wedding dress MUST be big, Fabulous, poufy and sparkly.... Considering for the rest of the marriage you'll be in sweat pants and look a mess, you NEED to have your Special wedding day... where you can say "I LOOK GOOD BITCHES"..... and you cant say that in some homemade dress made with $1.25 a yard fabric. Unless of course the groom has a HUGE dick, then none of this really matters :poke:

Guest hitoallusa

Oh my I don't want a guy with a huge dick.. It hurts a lot.. I just want a guy with a decent size.. I want a cute dick not a monster dick that I have to endure.. Anyways, I will make my own dress for my wedding.. I might get it fitted by a professional but that's about it.. lol.. ^_^

• Members

Thanks for providing your perspective. I was curious because I share a similar, but perhaps less extreme, reaction to most weddings I have been to. I have such mixed emotions...on one hand there is the joy of seeing the couple expressing their commitment to one another but on the other hand the "cookie cutter" type of affair as you say plus what I see as such a waste of money in an extravagant wedding (especially with divorce rates around 50%) where often times it seems as they are trying to outdo others. If only people would make their weddings simpler, more personal and individualized as you suggest and keep the focus on the real meaning of the whole event, as hitoall suggests.