Suckrates

Fast Food Frenzy

• Members

Well, the fast food chains are really upping their game in the competition for customers.

Mickey D's will be introducing CHICKEN WINGS, and Burger King is giving us a French Fry Burger...

Both sound totally edible and enticing.

Are you Drooling yet ?

mcdonalds-to-start-selling-chicken-wings

burger-king-to-introduce-new-french-fry-

• Members

If only BK would bring back the flame broiled burgers with or without the fries. THe present fare sucks.

As for McD's chicken wings with bones, this may be the first thing they have served that wasn't conjured up in a food chemist's kitchen... unless it has been cloned. :o

• Members

I avoid fast food at every opportunity but who will serve it to you? Does the argument of those who are employed at an entry level position demanding a "living wage" of $15 makes sense to you? It certainly alludes to a big underlying problem but makes no sense to me.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest hitoallusa

I don't like fast food so unless I have no other options if I am on the road then I won't get fast food... ^_^ I think kid's meal box is enough for me and some fast food places have apple slices I like. They also give you a toy... ^_^

• Members

I don't like fast food so unless I have no other options if I am on the road then I won't get fast food... :smile: I think kid's meal box is enough for me and some fast food places have apple slices I like. They also give you a toy... :smile:

Apple slices and toys ???? Gee hito, you are a pedophiles DREAM. Seriously ?

Guest zipperzone

Think about what an Office professionals fee should be if a Fast food worker gets $15 an hr.

Everyone is entitled to a living wage however menial the job is.

Guest Hoover42

If only BK would bring back the flame broiled burgers with or without the fries. THe present fare sucks.

As for McD's chicken wings with bones, this may be the first thing they have served that wasn't conjured up in a food chemist's kitchen... unless it has been cloned. :o

"Now with bones!"

Coming from McDonald's, that just seems very creepy.

• Members

Everyone is entitled to a living wage however menial the job is.

Certain jobs just dont warrant the rate of pay wanted for them. If people choose not to educate themselves and drop out of school and then expect business owners to throw unreasonable amounts of money at them to do mindless tasks, thats an unreasonable expectation.... You want a LIVING wage, equip and prepare yourself to receive it. However it is unfortunate that people who have LOST their living wage jobs, and then have to accept these available low paying ones and cant make ends meet, still doesnt mean business owners should overpay for these menial jobs. Flipping a burger isnt worth $15 hr. Sorry, thats my opinion.

Guest zipperzone

Flipping a burger isnt worth $15 hr. Sorry, thats my opinion.

I agree with you - sort of.......

But there are many menial jobs that pay even more.

For example, where I live, cleaning ladies get $25 an hour and if you're not willing to pay that, you're out of luck.

What's so skilled about pushing a vacuum cleaner around and running a duster over the furniture?

And they probably don't pay income tax on it as it an all cash transaction.

And what about municipal workers who collect garbage.? How much skill is involved in dumping a garbage pail into a dump truck?

• Members

Flipping a burger isnt worth $15 hr. Sorry, thats my opinion.

I agree with you - sort of.......

But there are many menial jobs that pay even more.

For example, where I live, cleaning ladies get $25 an hour and if you're not willing to pay that, you're out of luck.

What's so skilled about pushing a vacuum cleaner around and running a duster over the furniture?

And they probably don't pay income tax on it as it an all cash transaction.

And what about municipal workers who collect garbage.? How much skill is involved in dumping a garbage pail into a dump truck?

Of course you are right about the Jobs you list, but garbage collecting is a Govt job and Union, which protects them. As far as Cleaning people, unless they work for an agency, they can command any price they want, and if a person is willing to pay, they are willing to pay.... When you work for a boss, you either accept the job and the pay offered to you, or you look for something different.

Guest CharliePS

In the real world, pay often has little relation to educational preparation or performance. Many jobs which require a high degree of specialized education are poorly paid, because there is no source of money to pay them, or because there is an oversupply of those with the knowledge to do them. Some jobs are grossly overpaid, like bankers or CEOs whose actions cost their companies a lot of money, but who get paid enormous sums anyway. Many politicians and bureaucrats are paid not for their academic knowledge or ability, but for their practical expertise in manipulating both legitimate and ethically questionable sources of money. Garbage collectors don't need any formal education, but they do a very unpleasant and often dangerous job, which is why they demand reasonable compensation, and usually get it if they refuse to collect the garbage. Teaching was a poorly paid profession when educated women had few other respectable job options, but salaries rose dramatically when those women were able to sell their skills in more satisfying professions; arguably, teacher pay improves as overall competence declines. Trying to make a direct link between education and pay works only in situations where the the demand for certain knowledge or skills is perfectly calibrated to the supply of money available to pay for them.

The problem for fast food workers is that the demand for fast food is based on it being cheap, and it can't stay cheap if the workers are well paid. McD's workers could live with that when most of them were young part-timers who saw the jobs as temporary. In the current weak economy, those entry-level jobs are becoming permanent, and older people who have lost middle class jobs are moving into the low-paying fast food jobs. They are not as willing to settle for minimum wage, and they are the ones leading the fight for more money. But the owners are not likely to pay any more than they think they can afford, and I'll bet that none of chains think they can afford $15/hr and still make an acceptable profit.

• Members

CharliePSP-

I agree with you but you left out the value of experience. That is something that is highly prized in my profession. However, like many professions, it is sometimes difficult to accurately evaluate it. If you do the same thing 2,000 times in a row (2,000 hours of flying experience) is it as valuable as doing 100 different things 20 times each? Generally I don't think so.

The Congress has upped the ante by requiring more flight hours before flying paying passengers but has done little about the quality of that flight time. Here I am talking about the airlines.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest zipperzone

It is unrealistic to think that their wages can jump to $15/hr overnight.

But there is lots of room between minimum wage and $15 so they should be able to negotiate something.

Guest CharliePS

CharliePSP-

I agree with you but you left out the value of experience. That is something that is highly prized in my profession. However, like many professions, it is sometimes difficult to accurately evaluate it. If you do the same thing 2,000 times in a row (2,000 hours of flying experience) is it as valuable as doing 100 different things 20 times each? Generally I don't think so.

The Congress has upped the ante by requiring more flight hours before flying paying passengers but has done little about the quality of that flight time. Here I am talking about the airlines.

Best regards,

RA1

Experience is only as valuable as the employer thinks it is. I have worked for 15 years for the most important private employer in my field, doing a job that is based on 35 years of professional experience before that. Every supervisor I have had in the company has told me that I am the most knowledgeable and productive employee they have. Yet a few years ago, the company cut back the pay of every employee in my category, including mine, to the same base as the least experienced one. Their main competitor pays no better, and the marginal loss of efficiency they would suffer if I left and they had to replace me with someone less experienced didn't bother them enough to continue to pay me what they had previously thought I was worth. Employers aren't always rational enough to evaluate experience as you and I do.

• Members

In the case of aviation, experience is mandated by law, at least the quantity bur only obliquely the quality. Virtually all the air carrier pilots are unionized so the pay is determined by the contract and seniority. You do have to show up with the credentials and pass their hiring exams. Then go on probation for 6-24 months. So, to some extent we are talking apples and oranges.

Still, I get your point.

Best regards,

RA1