RA1

Paying folks to be poor (and vote Democratic)

• Members

I had breakfast with an old friend of mine this morning who is a decided liberal. He voted for BO twice and, as far as I know, even Albert Gore.

He was incensed about what I call the plantation mentality of government. He said he personally knew of a FEDEX employee who quit work because, even though he was making more net money in hand by working, he was going to lose some or all of his food stamps. I said this is wide spread. He replied, I don't like the wide spread aspect of it and I have a real problem with this guy quitting his job because he might lose some benefits.

It is immoral that a lot of folks are paid to be poor and remain that way. When and if they go to work, they take the chance of losing benefits. How can this country progress and recover from a lot of problems with these kinds of things going on? Answer: It cannot.

We all need to work and contribute to society. There are a lot of ways to do this but sitting at home and smoking cigarettes, drinking beer and making babies is not among them.

In my mind there is absolutely nothing racial in these comments. There are far more folks other than blacks who would fit the description.

Money and politicians will not solve these problems although pols could make big inroads in solving them, if they so desired.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

There are always those willing to game the system. Too damn many. BTW they come in rich stripes as well as poor stripes and in-between spots too. Would that we could easily rid ourselves of these blights. However, throwing the baby out with the bathwater is not the solution. That only creates other problems.

• Members

As you and others have remarked in the "joke" threads, this is no joke and I make the same remark about your post, sorry to say. :(

I grew up watching my father work 7 days a week during warm weather (which was about 6+ months a year0 and only 6 the rest of the time. The normal day was 0800-1800 but during warm weather that was more likely can to can't.

I have basically done the same thing during my career and feel that there were some things I missed out on but being a criminal or gaming the system or cheating or being unfair to others was not among the things that I engaged in. Therefore I am not rich but I sleep well at night.

I fear for our nation's future.

Best regards,

RA1