ihpguy

Portuguese Language & Oprah Turning White

• Members

The thread of the Dollar vs. Real brought back some memories. Good thoughts. Some sweet. Others bittersweet. Maybe even in milk chocolate with some fresh cream?

Decades ago, I can remember when Opie came into town like gangbusters from Baltimore. Almost immediately, hellzapoppin' took over the Windy City with her bad clothes and oh-so-bad Afro. Conspicuous consumption, eating up a storm and partyin' with the Baton "girls!" As a joke, when something seemed nigh impossible, my response would always be a "when Oprah turns white. Which was so, so very terrible and oh so, so, so very racist. An ex-employee and a coke whore always would be saying "I won't hold my breath" which I began using instead as well.

My response to the possibility of the 2.50 mark got me to remembering that expression. I still use it down here, but it just doesn't translate. "I won't hold my breath" just doesn't mean anything here as "nao vou prender minha respiracao." Ditto with Brasilians saying "se Deus quisir" which we translate as ""God-willing" and on the contrary, "God-willing" which here is translated almost directly from the Arabic ""inshallah" as "oxala" My favorite "I won't hold my breath" is used here with the expression "vou esperar sentado/deitado" as "I am going to wait seated or lying down." I just doesn't have the same ring to it here.

However, things definitely can change. And after what happened last week, when a woman worth over TWO BILLION DOLLARS was not permitted to buy a $38,000US purse in Zurich Switzerland, gentlemen, I think I can definitely state "OPRAH HAS TURNED WHITE!

My next thought was what DID Opie buy for herself to salve her hurt feelings? A chalet next to the Suvretta House in San Moritz owned previously by a Niarchos? Maybe Liz and Dick's old place in Gstaad? Had to be something ginormous to make up for that alligator purse that the sales woman thought that she couldn't afford. Then it came to me. She marched herself over to Sprungli on the Paradeplatz and salved her hurt feelings with a 2 kilo ballotin of Truffes Du Jour. Simple, quick and the sugar and chocolate rushes most likely had a calming effect.

post-122724-0-14105000-1376734263_thumb.

Yours

IHOP akaFavelaDweller

• Members

Not as dark as the milk chocolate at Sprungli, but not as light as the white chocolate either post-122724-0-53364600-1377087107_thumb.

Yours

IHOP akaFavelaDweller

PS. And boy oh boy, Do I have a Jones right about now for some of those creme fraiche chocolate orgasms!