Guest EXPAT

PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS !!!

PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS:

The fourth season premiere of Duck Dynasty set cable records, attracting an audience of 11.8 million. For contrast, broadcast TV‘s top show that night was America’s Got Talent which drew 9.3 million viewers, Big Brother came in second among new shows with 6 million viewers.

I still don't understand this reality TV show craze but I really don't understand Duck Dynasty. It looks like ZZ Top went camping. . .

• Members

Just watched the trailer and have no idea why people would find that interesting. Perplexing sconfused_100-114.gif?w=700&h=

I agree with Expat, I also don't understand the popularity of reality tv (and this one in particular). The thing that I kept thinking was that the wives were quite good looking and how the heck did they end up with those guys? I know, very superficial but just being honest.

Well, I downloaded the first season and have watched 4 episodes. I think it is a hoot.

Coming from the South, I can relate to his family and esp. hunting and life in the woods with rednecks. They are proud rednecks. As is most of my family. LOL

I am really enjoying it!

• Members

I tried watching this show when it started its run. All I got out of it was one hard working guy was making his dysfunctional family of ne'er-do-wells a million dollars a year while these misfits acted like ten year olds in their typical day, shirking their obligations to him, the company and their wives. A display of egregious irresponsibility. Nothing to spend my time on. Since then it seems to have caught fire but I cannot fathom why. I have not bothered to check back and will not.

As for reality shows, I confess to watching some: The Gator Boys, History Channel Swamp People, some shows about living in Alaska etc, some logging shows etc. Basically Man v Nature.

However, the vast majority have no attraction to me, especially those based on personality cults (Kahrdasians), damaged individuals (interventions) or assholes preening their wings for the camera, (some of the real estate flip wars storage locker auction stuff).

• Members

Duck Dynasty is an over the top caricature. Isn't that what all reality shows strive for? I know folks like this. I don't associate with them but I do know them. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

OK guys. Since this thread, I have now watched 2 full season of this show.

Over the top? yes

Caricature? yes

Scripted? yes

But, in the end, I laugh over and over. I think the show is funny and the characters are great. I esp. love Uncle Si.

I know this is made for TV shit. But, I still have really enjoyed it.

Thanks Expat for bringing this up. I know you may have expected me to say that it was stupid. LOL So, I will say that. It is stupid. But, damn, it is also funny as hell.

Happy. Happy. Happy.

• Members

The Fact that you brought them up means you love that fight scene. Thus, I deduce that you would LOVE Duck Dynasty! ;)

Sorry Oz, I dont think so.... I am really NOT that much a fan of Fat, Bearded Lesbians in Plaid Flannel shirts.... I'll have to take a pass on this one ! :hairy::hairy:

• Members

OK guys. Since this thread, I have now watched 2 full season of this show.

Over the top? yes

Caricature? yes

Scripted? yes

But, in the end, I laugh over and over. I think the show is funny and the characters are great. I esp. love Uncle Si.

I know this is made for TV shit. But, I still have really enjoyed it.

Thanks Expat for bringing this up. I know you may have expected me to say that it was stupid. LOL So, I will say that. It is stupid. But, damn, it is also funny as hell.

Happy. Happy. Happy.

Damn...I've had no interest in this show, but now I'm second guessing myself. I may finally have to check it out. Like Oz, the only way I would check it out would be starting with season 1 episode 1. It will have to wait though, I'm just starting Boardwalk Empire Season 3, having just finished The Borgia's Season 3 (although I really have a problem calling 8 episodes a season).

are they as redneck as here comes honey boo boo?

Honey boo boo is high ended sophistication compared to these rednecks. And, while many will see it and think these things never happen, I went frog gigging many a nights, had squirrel for dinner and even had a PiTukchduking. Pig cooked with Turkey inside pig, chicken inside turkey and duck inside it all.

The show is pretty funny and starting with Season 1 is the only way to go.

• Members

I have never had squirrel for a meal. Wait, you mean the little furry tailed rat that inhabits trees. That certainly would be more palatable than the kind we used to "shoot" as high schoolers.

In my neighborhood, the opinion is that squirrels are things that gals like without knowing why except they are "cute". The gals do not have to pay for the damage those little rats do to your roof, gutter and trees. The current thinking is see how long they can swim while in a trap held under water.

How can you go wrong when every meal has family present, a prayer of thanksgiving and sweet tea? :smile:

Best regards.

RA1

How can you go wrong when every meal has family present, a prayer of thanksgiving and sweet tea? :smile:

Uncle Si on the show does not go anywhere without 1 gallon of tea. You will also see his Tupperware glass with him every show.

I am not saying much other than, my mother had the same philosophy and I still have the Tupperware she bought me for my first apartment.

BTW: I love them drinking out of the Mason jars as well. Shit, is this my family I am watching on TV?

The old man is a preacher for the Church of Christ. It is a church that is even more conservative than the Baptist Church. His sons actually went to college at a Church of Christ school. I did as well. Let me tell you, it was the same ideology that has been spewed from the pulpits for 50 years.

I am not condoning the old fucker. I am just saying that he is not unique in the South among people his age. And, he is not unique with the people who he worships with 3 times every week.

Just saying....

Guest hitoallusa

Well he cleaned up himself and living a new life by accepting Jesus. I think it's a positive message. Maybe he will change his mind as he meets more gay couples and think about the issue. I hope it can happen soon.

UPDATE: A&E released this statement from Phil Robertson addressing the controversy: “I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

• Members

fried squirrel taste pretty good. was never a fan of deer meat.

I know a guy who used to trap and skin out stray cats, chop off their heads and paws and sell them for squirrel to city folks.

101418789-cat-panleukopenia-fact-sheet-6

Skin me out, motherfucker.

====

Come to think about it, I'm guessing he did it as much out of devilment as for the money.