Guest EXPAT

A&F accused of hiring only on looks in France. . .well duh. . .

Guest EXPAT

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/25/abercrombie-discrimination-france_n_3653357.html

France's official human rights watchdog said on Wednesday it was investigating Abercrombie & Fitch Co over concerns the U.S. clothing retailer discriminates in hiring store staff based on appearance..n>

Known for shirtless hosts at the entrance of its stores, the company has courted controversy in the past for targeting customers and employees based on their looks.

The rights watchdog, an official body that investigates suspected discrimination cases, cited in particular a 2006 interview with website salon.com in which Chief Executive Mike Jeffries said the company hires good-looking people to attract good-looking customers.

The Defenseur des Droits watchdog said the company, whose preppy clothes are popular with youth, has lost discrimination lawsuits in the United States and Britain in the past.

Raising concerns that Abercrombie's hiring policies may still be discriminatory, the watchdog said it suspected that people hired as models for its stores were in fact also sales staff.

"Though physical appearance may legitimately be a key and determining professional factor for models, that's not so for sales staff," the head of the watchdog, Dominique Baudis, said in a statement.

The company did not immediately have a comment in response to the investigation when contacted by Reuters about it.

post-105999-0-69614900-1375298239_thumb.

• Members

YES, it may be discriminatory, but it is THEIR Brand, and they have a right to promote and market it as they see fit and to whom they want as their market.

The people excluded will just have to get over it. That's life and industry...

Guest gcursor

WAIT A MINUTE...when did they start putting shirtless hosts at the door because I will start visiting them again if they did!

Guest hitoallusa

Are we allowed to touch them too?

WAIT A MINUTE...when did they start putting shirtless hosts at the door because I will start visiting them again if they did!

Guest EXPAT

YES, it may be discriminatory, but it is THEIR Brand, and they have a right to promote and market it as they see fit and to whom they want as their market.

The people excluded will just have to get over it. That's life and industry...

Actually in France and in many countries you can't just do what you want. The laws are different. But there are ways to make sure you aren't blatantly violating their laws.

• Members

Actually in France and in many countries you can't just do what you want. The laws are different. But there are ways to make sure you aren't blatantly violating their laws.

I truly dont understand WHY people think that its Democratic to FORCE a business to hire people that dont represent and further their Brand ? To me, thats discrimination in Reverse..... It discriminates against Free enterprise.

Guest hitoallusa

Of course Suckrates.. A lady never touches a gentleman's body with her bare hands... That's a big no no... She is only allowed to touch her husband with her bare hands.. Lol

Only if you are wearing white Gloves !

I truly dont understand WHY people think that its Democratic to FORCE a business to hire people that dont represent and further their Brand ? To me, thats discrimination in Reverse..... It discriminates against Free enterprise.

Welcome to doing business under European governments.