ihpguy

Peregrinos Flying Away

• Members

After three million souls took to shore of Copacabana, the peregrinos/peregrines are now flying away to almost all countries of the world carrying their message.

I had no clue why the travelling worshipers were called peregrines. But I find it all quite interesting.

http://www.kaikoraichurch.co.nz/trinity/2011/10/being-peregrine

At least more interesting and less stressful than the shuttered metro and filled buses. Basically, Rio just survived a Reveillon x 4. Massive tie-ups in and out of Copa for four days.

• Members

I am so glad this World Youth Journey event is over. The millions of extra people were a commuting nightmare. As I may have said in an earlier post on another thread, Rio's mass transit system simply was incapable of handling so many people, particularly when the events were concentrated in a relatively compact area that is served by only one train route. Since I'm renting an apt in Copacabana, I had the most difficult time getting out to the rest of the city during the day, and it was much worse returning home at night. Plus, the restaurants were serving only limited cuisine, and the million-plus slumber party in Copacabana on Saturday night in expectation of the Pope's Sunday morning mass (sleeping bags & port-a-potties everywhere!) just made things so hectic. I, and I'm sure many native Cariocas, particularly those living and working in Copa, am so happy this is over with.

Now, back to my regularly scheduled ho-ing! :D

• Members

I have read that the fragrances were quite "special" on Sunday morning on the beach. Many Peregrinos chose not to wait on line for the port-a-pottes, but took to the pure waters of the Atlantic to "wash away their excesses"

• Members

There have been some statisticians looking at photos and comparing occupany per square meter of space, and it was more than likely the actual attendance was somewhere around 1.2 to 1.7 million to took the sands for the two-day and one-night prayerfest.

I have been to the beach in Copacabana for Reveillon. Whatever the number, not at all enticing to think about being there for an extended period of time. I have a friend who lives in the beach block. We go there after an early dinner walk the block to the beach to see the fireworks and a majority of the revelers dressed in white leaving floating offerings of illuminated candles and white gladioli on the shoreline for Iamenja and then return to the comfort of his condo for a "janta a madrugada"/predaw-post-midnight supper. Much more comfortable.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/brazil-researchers-church-inflated-size-of-crowd-celebrating-mass-with-pope-francis-in-rio/2013/08/02/b83abaae-fb9b-11e2-89f7-8599e3f77a67_story.html