Guest FourAces

WTF? Really? Shirtless? Swimming Pool?

Guest FourAces

A Long Island middle school teacher says he was forced to resign after he appeared on TV as a reality show extra in an episode where he peels off his shirt and frolics with women in a swimming pool. But many parents and students say it's not fair.

---

I cannot believe the above is real. It reads as if created by a site like the Onion. But sadly its all too real and so absurd I just feel like banging my head into a wall over and over :(

Guest hitoallusa

Whenever a person reports this kind of silly things to school, the person's name should also be announced and made public. It's ridiculous. The person who did this should not go to swimming pools at all and stay home. I really want the name of person who reported this to school and school officials who fired him. Don't they ever go to swimming pools or any public beach???? Funny things is the person who reported this must be watching stupids shows like this in private. Yikes...

• Members

I was wondering how he was forced to resign, especially as noted above if he was tenured. Seems as though the board rescinded his tenure (I had no idea that was possible without due process) and threatened to take away unemployment benefits.

There must be more to the story than what has been said so far but on the face of it I can only say that it seems it is totally absurd. I would have liked to have seen him say f#ck you all to the board, let them fire him and then hit them with a huge lawsuit.

Ref:

Serie got a letter a week after the June 2 episode aired, telling him he had to report to the school district office.

He was urged to resign, he says."They rescinded my tenure, took it away, and said if I do not give them a resignation letter in two days, that I would not receive unemployment benefits," said Serie, who has worked as a teacher for eight years.

His lawyer, Joseph Lipada, said his client was "never given a coherent reason as to his termination."

Serie said a producer friend approached him about the show. He did not take part in the drinking or fighting shown in the episode, and had no interest in taping another. He said he regrets going on the show and wants his job back.

The Bellmore-Merrick Central High School District said in a statement that Serie's resignation was accepted on July 9, but declined to discuss further details.