Guest EXPAT

Emmy nominations announced today

Guest EXPAT

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/tv/la-et-st-emmy-nominations-2013-list,0,6335367.story

American Horror Story leads with 19 nominations !!!

DRAMA SERIES
"Breaking Bad" (AMC)
"Downton Abbey" (PBS)
"Game of Thrones" (HBO)
"Homeland" (DirecTV)
"House of Cards" (Netflix)
"Mad Men" (AMC)

DRAMA ACTOR
Hugh Bonneville (Downton Abbey")
Bryan Cranston ("Breaking Bad")
Jeff Daniels ("Newsroom")
Jon Hamm ("Mad Men")
Damien Lewis ("Homeland")
Kevin Spacey ("House of Cards")

DRAMA ACTRESS
Claire Danes("Homeland")
Vera Farmiga ("Bates Motel") Michelle Dockery ("Downton Abbey")
Robin Wright ("House of Cards")
Elisabeth Moss ("Mad Men")
Connie Britton ("Nashville")
Kerry Washington ("Scandal")

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Bobby Cannavale ("Boardwalk Empire")
Jonathan Banks("Breaking Bad")
Aaron Paul ("Breaking Bad")
Jim Carter ("Downton Abbey")
Peter Dinklage ("Game of Thrones")
Many Patinkin ("Homeland")

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Anna Gunn ("Breaking Bad")
Maggie Smith ("Downtown Abbey")
Emilia Clark ("Game of Thrones")
Christine Baranski ("The Good Wife")
Morena Baccarin ("Homeland")
Christina Hendricks ("Mad Men")

COMEDY SERIES
The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Girls (HBO)
Louie (FX)
Modern Family (ABC)
30 Rock (NBC)("
Veep (HBO)

COMEDY ACTOR
Alec Baldwin ("30 Rock")
Jason Bateman ("Arrested Development")
Jim Parsons ("The Big Bang Theory")
Matt LeBlanc ("Episodes")
Louie C.K ("Louie)
Don Cheadle ("House of Lies")

COMEDY ACTRESS
Tina Fey ("30 Rock")
Laura Dern ("Enlightened")
Lena Dunham ("Girls")
Edie Falco ("Nurse Jackie)
Amy Poehler ("Parks and Recreation")
Julia Louis-Dreyfus ("Veep")

MINISEREIES OR MOVIE
"American Horror Story: Asylum" (FX)
"Behind the Candelabra" (HBO)
"The Bible" (History)
"Phil Spector" (HBO)
"Political Animals" (USA)
"Top of the Lake" (Sundance Channel)

• Members

Thanks for the list.

Some good choices but I am a bit disappointed that Bates Motel only got one nomination. At least if it only got one then they got it right with Vera Farmiga...I thought she was incredible. I would have loved to see it nominated for Best Drama series as well.

I have just recently discovered Downton Abbey and am halfway through the third season. I am thoroughly enjoying it and glad it is getting recognition in the nominations.

Guest EXPAT

I am disappointed that "The Walking Dead" wasn't nominated. I think they have some of the best writing on television. It's a great character driven show where the zombies are simply secondary.

Guest EXPAT

44 Emmy Snubs

Orphan Black on BBC America seems to be the most often mentioned snub of the Emmy's. I don't get BBC American anymore so I'm not familiar with that show.

I think the biggest snub is "The Walking Dead".

I loved the Netflix nomination and thought it was well deserved. I, too, was disappointed in nothing for The Walking Dead. Also, what about Sons of Anarchy?

Lastly, is anyone watching The Bridge on FX. I am really digging it.

Guest EXPAT

I thought The Bridge was awful. The lady detective is so badly written. How ever did she get her job? In the first several scenes it was obvious she was an idiot with no empathy. I was so disappointed in the first 45 minutes I shut it off

I thought The Bridge was awful. The lady detective is so badly written. How ever did she get her job? In the first several scenes it was obvious she was an idiot with no empathy. I was so disappointed in the first 45 minutes I shut it off

I like the story a lot. I also didn't like her at first. But, she grew on me as she had sex on the 2nd episode. She is awkward and no empathy, true. But, I actually like her a lot now.

Guest NCBored

The character has Asperger's Syndrome, according to various entertainment media pieces, although I haven't seen that said explicitly in the show itself.

• Members

I thought The Bridge was awful. The lady detective is so badly written. How ever did she get her job? In the first several scenes it was obvious she was an idiot with no empathy. I was so disappointed in the first 45 minutes I shut it of

The whole point of her character is that she is so badly, fundamentally damaged, yet faced with a horrendous job, protected by her angel-boss, in a world she is so ill-suited to navigate. Creepy. I can't say I like the character. Not sure I like the show but I have kept watching so far.

Cable is obsessed with damaged women: Saving Grace/Holly Hunter, The Closer/Kyra Sedgwick, Homeland/Clare Danes to name a few. It seems damaged women in the new normal on Cable.

Guest NCBored

The whole point of her character is that she is so badly, fundamentally damaged, yet faced with a horrendous job, protected by her angel-boss, in a world she is so ill-suited to navigate. Creepy. I can't say I like the character. Not sure I like the show but I have kept watching so far.

Cable is obsessed with damaged women: Saving Grace/Holly Hunter, The Closer/Kyra Sedgwick, Homeland/Clare Danes to name a few. It seems damaged women in the new normal on Cable.

Likewise Detective Linden in The Killing, which I also enjoyed.

Guest NCBored

I've been watching Breaking Bad almost daily for the past months. (I watched the first season when it premiered and like it, but for reasons I don't remember, I stopped.) I picked it up again this year, for it's final season, and AMC is has been re-running the entire series as a lead-in to the final episodes beginning next week.

I think Bryan Cranston does a masterful job, as does the supporting cast,

And every time I think I have a handle on Jesse or start to like him, he does something stupid or deplorable again (like trying to sell meth to the addiction support group!)

Bob Newhart took home his first ever Emmy for guesting on CBS's "The Big Bang Theory." This is really hard to believe that he never won an Emmy in all those years in those various sitcoms.

Newhart was nominated for six Emmys -- five for acting, one for writing -- prior to the 2013 award. He was nominated for "ER," "Nehwart," "The Librarian: The Curse of the Judas Chalice" and "The Bob Newhart Show."

Newhart beat out Bobby Cannavale for "Nurse Jackie," Louis CK for "SNL," Justin Timberlake for hosting "SNL," Nathan Lane for "Modern Family" and Will Forte in "30 Rock."

Certain categories of Emmy's were handed out this weekend before the big event next week.

This year, the Creative Arts Emmys got pretty gay. Eight awards went to Behind the Candelabra (including Outstanding Hairstyling, Costumes as well as the Prosthetic and Non-Prostetic Makeup categories), while Dan Bucatinsky won Outstanding Guest Actor, and Outstanding Reality Host went to Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn.

The Emmy's were extremely boring this year and really slow for some reason.

Best Drama: Breaking Bad (YEAH !!!)

Best Comedy: Modern Family (AGAIN??? I'm so tired and over this show)

Best Movie/Mini-Series): Behind the Candelabra (Most over rated movie ever - I personally didn't like it)

Best Actor in a Drama: Jeff Daniels from The Newsroom (I think this show is also over rated. The dialog is totally unrealistic)

Best Actor in a Comedy: Jim Parsons (YEAH)

Best Actress in a Drama: Clair Daines from "Homeland"

Best Acress in a Comedy: Julia Louis Dreyfess from VEEP

The funniest acceptance speech was from Michael Douglas who won Best Actor in a Movie/Mini-Series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgoFHOvxdOI

— Drama Series: “Breaking Bad,” AMC.

— Actor, Drama Series: Jeff Daniels, “The Newsroom,” HBO.

— Actress, Drama Series: Claire Danes, “Homeland,” Showtime.

— Supporting Actor, Drama Series: Bobby Cannavale, “Boardwalk Empire,” HBO.

— Supporting Actress, Drama Series: Anna Gunn, “Breaking Bad,” AMC.

— Directing, Drama Series: David Fincher, “House of Cards,” Netflix.

— Writing, Drama Series: Henry Bromell, “Homeland,” Showtime.

— Comedy Series: “Modern Family,” ABC.

— Actor, Comedy Series: Jim Parsons, “The Big Bang Theory,” CBS.

— Actress, Comedy Series: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, “Veep,” HBO.

— Supporting Actor, Comedy Series: Tony Hale, “Veep,” HBO.

— Supporting Actress, Comedy Series: Merritt Wever, “Nurse Jackie,” Showtime.

— Directing, Comedy Series: Gail Mancuso, “Modern Family,” ABC.

— Writing, Comedy Series: Tina Fey, Tracey Wigfield, “30 Rock,” NBC.

— Miniseries or Movie: “Behind the Candelabra,” HBO.

— Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Michael Douglas, “Behind the Candelabra,” HBO.

— Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Laura Linney, “The Big C: Hereafter,” Showtime.

— Supporting Actor, Miniseries or Movie: James Cromwell, “American Horror Story: Asylum,” FX Networks.

— Supporting Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Ellen Burstyn, “Political Animals,” USA.

— Directing, Miniseries or Movie: Steven Soderbergh, “Behind the Candelabra,” HBO.

— Writing, Miniseries or Movie: Abi Morgan, “The Hour,” BBC America.

— Reality-Competition Program: “The Voice,” NBC.

— Variety Series: “The Colbert Report,” Comedy Central.

— Writing, Variety Series: “The Colbert Report,” Comedy Central.

— Directing, Variety Series: Don Roy King, “Saturday Night Live,” NBC.

— Choreography: Derek Hough, “Dancing With the Stars,” ABC.

Hahahahaha

I just saw a clip of Bryan Cranston being interviewed on the red carpet and when he was asked, "Any message for your fellow nominees?" He dead panned into the camera and said, "I suggest they tread lightly!" I died laughing.

Here's a review from The Hollywood Reporter:

Neil Patrick Harris' hot streak as the 21st century awards-show answer to Johnny Carson hit a few speed bumps with this year's wildly hit-and-miss television honors.

Jeff Daniels beat out Bryan Cranston. Bobby Cannavale trumped Aaron Paul. Tony Hale mopped the floor with the Modern Family guys. And Stephen Colbert finally nudged out Jon Stewart for variety-show supremacy. So with so many unexpected wins, why was the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards telecast such a bloated bore? Chalk it up to tonal inconsistency? Misconceived production numbers? Too many protracted pretaped segments at the expense of spontaneity? An overload of solemnity?

Perhaps Don Cheadle inadvertently hit it on the head during a look back a half-century to the momentous events of 1963, when he acknowledged televisions active role in allowing us to mourn collectively and begin to heal. Thats a noble sentiment in the intended context of the John F. Kennedy assassination. But in such a moribund ceremony, any mention of mourning felt awkwardly appropriate. It didnt take the Breaking Bad meth dancers -- yes, really -- to point up the uncomfortable paradox of televisions best being celebrated in a night of spectacularly messy TV.

As the man in the firing line, Neil Patrick Harris will likely cop a lot of flak. But with so many blundering producing decisions intruding on his limited time at the podium, the host didnt really stand a chance.

Harris has four lauded turns as Tony Awards emcee under his belt, plus a previous gig fronting the Emmys in 2009. He knows what hes doing. His insouciant irreverence hit the mark in an intro segment in which he binge-watched the entire TV season. Ditto when his opening monologue was hijacked by previous hosts (Jimmy Kimmel, Jane Lynch, Jimmy Fallon, Conan OBrien) and by front-row hecklers Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, demanding that he strip down and start twerking. Making that sabotage part of the master plan of Kevin Spacey, in character as House of Cards reptilian Frank Underwood, was a droll touch. And somehow Harris humor and charm failed to provide much glue. (Truth be told, he was also part of the producing team, which makes him far from blameless.)

The expected opening song-and-dance number failed to materialize until midshow. By the time it did, the mood had been so thoroughly flattened that Harris, 16 back-up dancers, Nathan Fillion and Sarah Silverman faced an uphill battle to milk much amusement out of the routine glitz of The Number in the Middle of the Show. Even worse was the choreography segment, with a faux-reality setup leading to thematic dance numbers for each of the drama nominees -- a throwback to the good old, bad old days when Debbie Allen choreographed the Oscars.

When Harris How I Met Your Mother castmates turned up in a pretaped mock-infomercial for The Ryan Seacrest Center for Excessive Hosting Disorder, dragging in Arsenio Hall as part of their intervention, the irony was agonizing.

Too often, such labored filler segments merely ate up time, meaning the award recipients were played off almost as soon as they began speaking. Shorter acceptance speeches normally are a good thing, a memo that Nurse Jackie winner Merritt Wever appeared to have gotten with her succinct: Thank you so much. I gotta go. Bye. But a few more discursive comments might have helped stave off the weird pall that hung over much of the ceremony.

In one inspired bit early on, Hale returned to the stage soon after his supporting actor in a comedy win for Veep, sycophantically flanking his boss, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, when she was honored for the same show. Cutting to their co-star Anna Chlumsky madly texting in the audience only made the joke funnier. Michael Douglas also scored some laughs with his innuendo-laden acceptance speech for Behind the Candelabra, acknowledging that the movie was a two-hander and giving his co-star Matt Damon the choice of the bottom or the top for his half of the award. Gracious remarks by class acts such as James Cromwell and Ellen Burstyn were like invigorating breaths of fresh air -- likewise the welcome appearances of Bob Newhart, who showed that less is more.

But every moment of genuine levity had to contend with another deep plunge into self-important sobriety. Spreading the In Memoriam salutes throughout the show was a large part of that problem, laying such a thick carpet of gloom that it made much of Harris material seem smug.

During the runup to Sundays ceremony, news that Glee star Cory Monteith was to be given a special tribute prompted some discontent, suggesting that, by contrast, lumping such iconic faces as Jack Klugman and Larry Hagman into the collective obit was doing those TV veterans a disservice. But it was impossible not to be moved by the heartfelt sincerity of Jane Lynchs salute to her late Glee co-star.

Other tributes included Michael J. Foxs bow to Family Ties creator Gary David Goldberg; Robin Williams nod to fellow comedian Jonathan Winters, with whom he worked on Mork & Mindy; Edie Falcos tearful farewell to her Sopranos husband James Gandolfini; and most affecting of all, Rob Reiners loving words for his All in the Family mother-in-law, Jean Stapleton. In a year of countless sad losses for television, the Emmys clearly set out to acknowledge the passing of key figures who touched different generations. The intention was honorable, even if some major names ended up seeming like also-rans. But the complete absence of clips from either the standalone tributes or the group acknowledgement robbed them of emotional resonance.

The 1963 remembrance was too rushed to have much impact, playing like a promo for a more interesting PBS special. The first-ever African-American Emmy acting nominee, Diahann Carroll, appeared onstage with this years contender Kerry Washington to acknowledge how far television had come in terms of racial inclusiveness. But again, this gesture was more symbolic than meaningful.

In the evenings most anticipated musical interlude, Elton John donned one of his old glittery Captain Fantastic jackets to pay tribute to Liberace. But the choice of a forgettable new song with only the most tenuous connection to the Behind the Candelabra subject made this another black hole in a ceremony littered with them.

The big drag at the Emmys has always been the deja vu factor of the same winners year after year. Claire Danes again? Jim Parsons again? And despite edgier contenders in Louie, Girls and Veep, another best comedy win for Modern Family was gruesomely inevitable. Given that USA is about to start syndicating season-one reruns of that sitcom -- the last time the shows writing really excelled -- the ho-hum award felt somehow right.

This was an Emmy telecast so plodding, lifeless and just plain glum that even the overdue best drama win for Breaking Bad failed to provide a lift at the end of the show.