ihpguy

Cory Monteith Found Dead

• Members

As a true GLEEK, this report has shocked me. So sad. Most likely his addictions.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) — Cory Monteith, the handsome young actor who shot to fame in the hit TV series "Glee" but was beset by addiction struggles so fierce that he once said he was lucky to be alive, was found dead in a hotel room, police said. He was 31.

Monteith, who played the character Finn Hudson on the TV series about a high school glee club, was found dead in his room on the 21st floor of the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel on Vancouver's waterfront at about noon Saturday, according to police.

Deputy Police Chief Doug Lepard said there was no indication of foul play. Monteith's body was found by hotel staff after he missed his check-out time, Lepard said.

"We do not have a great deal of information as to cause of death," Coroner Lisa Lapointe said.

Lepard said Monteith had been out with people earlier and that those people are being interviewed.

In April, he admitted himself to a treatment facility for "substance addiction" and asked for privacy as he took steps toward recovery, a representative said at the time.

Lea Michele, his "Glee" co-star and real-life girlfriend, told People magazine that she loved and supported Monteith and was proud he was seeking help.

It was not Monteith's first time in rehab. He received treatment when he was 19 and had previously talked about his addiction struggles, saying he had a serious problem and took just "anything and everything."

He told Parade in 2011 that he was "lucky to be alive."

Monteith, who turned 31 on May 11, starred in "Glee" as Finn Hudson, a high school football player who puts his status and popularity at risk to join the glee club and its outcast members. Michele played his on-air girlfriend in "Glee," Rachel Berry.

The show, with its pop music-based musical numbers and high-profile guest stars including Gwyneth Paltrow, became an immediate hit and made stars of its relatively unknown cast.

On his Twitter account, Monteith described himself as "tall, awkward, canadian, actor, drummer, person."

Guest NCBored

Very sad. I gave up on the show a couple of years ago, although I did catch an occasional re-run.

I had the impression that his role in the series diminished significantly in the last few seasons. Was he featured much after his character graduated?

Guest EXPAT

He was the teacher / coach for the high school this past season while Mr Schue was in DC.

Very sad loss. I'm sure his real life girlfriend Kea Michelle is gutted as well

• Members

Really, good riddance. He had his chance at rehab. He had career success. He had money. He knew the depth of his problem. He wasted his life on dope. However, if the autopsy shows that he was completely sober and hit his head on the tub as he fell, I retract everything!

Guest zipperzone

I get a very strange feeling about this tragedy. I happened to be visiting my brother-inlaw on Saturday who lives in a penthouse apartment directly across from the hotel where Cory died. Little did I know when looking at the views that his body had just been discovered and an investigation was underway. Scary stuff........

• Members

Give the guy a break. He battled his demons for many years. Shit happens. The last rehab stint obviously wasn't long enough. Life isn't always A-OK. It can suck! I found his candor about his many problems in life quite touching,

• Members

Really, good riddance. He had his chance at rehab. He had career success. He had money. He knew the depth of his problem. He wasted his life on dope. However, if the autopsy shows that he was completely sober and hit his head on the tub as he fell, I retract everything!

Wow. Addiction is a mental illness, and the chance for rehab to actually effect a long term cure is some percentage in the single digits. If a 40 yo father of 3 drops dead from a heart attack, is your response "good riddance. he had his chance to eat healthier and lose some weight. why didn't he just take Lipitor and aspirin? He wasted his life on fast food and working too hard!"

Was Cory partially responsible for his own problems. Of course. MANY illnesses begin with some type of lapse in judgment. Does that mean he doesn't deserve any compassion?

Guest josephga

I had a cousin the same issues rehab twice . from the age of 16 to the age of 38 he finally died last year. not from a over dose but was on drugs at the time he fell of a tractor and it ran over his chest. It's a sad thing. But personally I don't view drug addiction a illness but more of a habit. I know most wont agree.

• Members

I had a cousin the same issues rehab twice . from the age of 16 to the age of 38 he finally died last year. not from a over dose but was on drugs at the time he fell of a tractor and it ran over his chest. It's a sad thing. But personally I don't view drug addiction a illness but more of a habit. I know most wont agree.

Taking drugs is a habit. Being addicted is an illness. Sort of like eating poorly and sedentary life style is a habit. Obesity is an illness. But what we do completely agree on is your statement "it's a sad thing." As I mentioned in my original comment, there are many diseases that begin with some degree of personal culpability, but it's still sad when someone young and at least trying to resolve the issue gets taken away....

• Members

Wow. Addiction is a mental illness, and the chance for rehab to actually effect a long term cure is some percentage in the single digits. If a 40 yo father of 3 drops dead from a heart attack, is your response "good riddance. he had his chance to eat healthier and lose some weight. why didn't he just take Lipitor and aspirin? He wasted his life on fast food and working too hard!"

Was Cory partially responsible for his own problems. Of course. MANY illnesses begin with some type of lapse in judgment. Does that mean he doesn't deserve any compassion?

How many guys don't have the opportunities that Cory had? Do you think they would waste them? Thousands upon thousands of guys want drug rehab and can't even get in the door. Yet this guy went in and out. He was known as a hard-partying druggie. He had the means and the opportunity to live up to the expectations of those who supported him, but apparently didn't care enough for himself to do so.

(But, I agree that "good riddance" was harsh and retract it.)

• Members

How many guys don't have the opportunities that Cory had? Do you think they would waste them? Thousands upon thousands of guys want drug rehab and can't even get in the door. Yet this guy went in and out. He was known as a hard-partying druggie. He had the means and the opportunity to live up to the expectations of those who supported him, but apparently didn't care enough for himself to do so.

(But, I agree that "good riddance" was harsh and retract it.)

First, happy that you retracted "good riddance." I was worried you were going to join these guys at his funeral

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/westboro-baptist-church-plans-cory-monteith-funeral-protest-140119597.html

Whether we are talking heart disease, lung disease, infectious disease, diabetes, mental disease... many many diseases which can begin with some degree of personal culpability... I will always believe that compassion is a better first reaction than judgement. And I am just surprised that those of us on a gay message board would feel differently after we have lived through the evolution of public opinion during the era of HIV.

• Members

The Conclusive results are in: death from lethal mixture or Heroine and Alcohol.. He KNEW what he was doing, but I don't think he expected it to KILL him....

Next up: Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Bynes and Justin Bieber.... Just terribly Sad and wasteful !

• Members

Seems to me only those who have actually experienced addiction are qualified to judge other addicts, and everybody else is lucky to just be guessing.

Well, I'll take that as directed at me, as if the word lucky didn't steer me. I have known multiple addicts in my life, lost many of them, and at many times have tried to help them. I learned that you can't do that. But I also learned that alcoholics and addicts have more promises and excuses than you can count. Labeling addiction a disease just gives them one more excuse to say that they are not responsible for their behavior. So they go on, continuing to hurt the people around them as well as themselves. Someone else has to pick up the pieces of their lives. So I admire addicts and alcoholics who have kicked their habits, even if it took several tries. But I have no sympathy for people like Cory who had several chances and still kept using. I am more concerned about the people he hurt, the damage he left behind.

• Members

Until seeing this photo, I never notices how bad his teeth were. Actually surprised he got the job on GLEE. Shooting closeups must have involved some planning by the director. Not nice. I wonder if the gay casting couch was in operation?

Guest EXPAT

"Glee" is going to write the late Cory Monteith's character Finn Hudson out of the show in the third episode of the show's upcoming Season 5, Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly announced at the Television Critics Association 2013 Summer Press Tour. Reilly also revealed that "Glee" is unlikely to continue past the show's next two seasons.

The farewell episode will deal directly with how Cory Monteith died, although Reilly didn't specifically say the character will die of an overdose.

"The third episode will deal with the Finn Hudson character being written out of the show," Reilly said. "That episode will deal directly with the incidents surrounding his death and drug addiction … Ryan Murphy is going to film PSAs with the cast, as cast members, as friends of his, they're going to speak directly to the audience [about Cory] ..."

Reilly added Lea Michele, Monteith's on and off screen girlfriend, has been "the most extraordinary human being and a pillar of strength throughout."

The episode may feature old footage of Monteith, Reilly reported. "It's a possibility because we do have some of that footage, but I can't speak to it because Ryan and the guys are working through it right now," he said.

While Reilly said "Glee" was likely to end after Season 6, he said that it could possibly last longer, but only if the show were to discover a new cast.

Fox pushed the premiere of "Glee" back a week to Thursday, Sept. 26 in the wake of Monteith's death. The first two episodes of "Glee" Season 5 will be Beatles themed and will be very "celebratory." "It's a little difficult to come out of the gate right away then have to recover. We'll have the Cory episode, then we'll go on hiatus for three weeks for the World Series, and that gives us a natural break to reset." Music sales from the episode will go into a fund in Monteith's name.

"You see some people struggling with addiction, they're very easily put into a category, 'She was always a partier,' you know. Cory was a big open wonderful life force, he was not a problem … he looked straight as an arrow, he was very open about it in his past, not so open about it in his present. Nobody was shocked, but everybody was shocked -- it was not intentional, it was an accident, it happened to somebody struggling with an addiction," Reilly said.